Dharmesh Shah is the co-founder and CTO of HubSpot and has been a TechStars mentor for years. Dharmesh also runs OnStartups.com, an online community for entrepreneurs. It’s one of the top 10 most read startup blogs and receives thousands of visitors a day. We’re so grateful that he made time in his busy schedule to speak to us in Boston during FounderCon this month. Below are ten of his valuable insights and suggestions that struck a chord with our founders:
- Inbound marketing is the best move for startups. Unless you’ve already hit escape velocity, you need marketing.
- With ads, you’re not buying attention, you’re renting it. With PPC, rent can increase and you might be evicted.
- Marketing isn’t something you sprinkle on. It should be baked in.
- Creating your own search category takes ton of cash.
- Google “your company name vs” and stop typing. Your competitors will come up.
- Don’t just think different. Do different.
- Create useful content, responsive designs and fast websites.
- You can A/B your way to better. You can’t A/B test your way to awesome.
- Author ranking: Google cares about the author and the content. Create a Google+ profile.
- Look at your top ten pages every week with a critical eye and improve accordingly.
Subscribe to get all our new posts straight to your email!