This June, some of New York City’s top health companies including WebMD, Oscar Health, Blueprint Health, Flatiron Health, City MD, SALT, Breather, Startup Health, Blink, Hacking Health, IBM Watson are teaming up with Startup Weekend NYC to help you launch the next BIG IDEA in Health and Fitness.
In case you need more reasons to attend our upcoming events (sign up below!), we turned to BuzzFeed to give you 8 reasons to join us this June.
- When you put technology into the hands of people who are passionate about helping others, miracles like this are possible: http://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry/doctors-were-able-to-give-this-blind-woman-a-3d-print-of-her#.un2NZ3vYd
- There MUST be a solution to reduce the time spent solving these types of questions: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/things-patients-say-to-doctors#.forMaPr16
- We’re inspired by the cardiologist who built an app to help children with heart defects: http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/this-yale-doctor-is-coding-his-own-iphone-health-app#.le2RW0G3L
- Healthcare professionals are human and have so many questions. So. Many. Questions. http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/pieces-of-medical-wisdom-from-30-rocks-dr-leo-spaceme#.clzk14x8N
- Move over pagers, Apple Watch already has apps specifically built for clinicians: http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/doctors-will-soon-talk-to-each-other-through-the-apple-watch#.pcEban4X7
- There has to better ways to improve the patient experience other than letting Oculus Rift do product demos at the dentist office: http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/just-a-relaxing-trip-to-the-dentist#.auyRoeO94
- Disney’s hit movie, Big Hero 6, was all about big ideas that are possible when technology meets healthcare and we secretly hope that Baymax, your personal healthcare companion, will be a real thing one day: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/6-reasons-to-fall-in-love-with-disneys-big-hero-6#.xvamKYDNn
- When awesome, passionate people get together, there’s no limit to what can be created in a weekend: http://www.buzzfeed.com/doctorbuzzfeed/14-everyday-things-nurses-can-do-better-than-you-mkr6#.kiGlKk59y
Kick-off your summer by joining Startup Weekend NYC at our upcoming Health + Fitness events:
June 12-14: Startup Weekend Health + Fitness Edition (our classic 54 hour event!)
We look forward to seeing you there and please spread the word. Share this post and email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Startup Weekend is a 501(c) 3 non-profit that brings together the entrepreneurial, web development and design communities for one weekend with one goal: It’s a 54 hour challenge to launch a business. Here’s a quick video of one of our events in NY: watch.
The weekend consists of 3 main parts Pitch, Build, Present. Friday night, pitch night, everyone with an idea gets one minute to pitch their idea for a business to the crowd. The crowd votes on the top 10-20 ideas (depending on crowd size), and teams form to build the foundations of the business and develop a presentation and pitch. Teams build all day Saturday and until mid afternoon on Sunday. Finally, Sunday is demo day, when teams will have the opportunity to present their ideas to the judges panel, the rest of the teams/participants, demo-day ticket holders, press, investors and industry leaders.