Is this event for me?
If you are interested in entrepreneurship the answer is most likely yes. Startup Weekend attendee backgrounds are roughly 50% technical (developers, coders, designers) and 50% business (marketing, finance, law). Whether you are a serial entrepreneur or new to the startup scene, if you motivated to build a product or startup and open to new ideas you’ll fit right in.
Do I have to participate all three days?
Apart from Organizers, selected Coaches, Speakers, and press, everyone who attends the event is expected to participate all three days. This is important not only to preserve the ‘vibe’ of the weekend (“no talk, all action”) but also to minimize distractions/disruptions for working teams. However, at most Startup Weekends a “Sunday Presentations Only” registration option is available for those wishing to only view the teams’ final presentations. (Please check the registration page of your city’s website for availability.)
Do I need a team?
Everyone who attends the event as an attendee is expected to participate on a team. This is important not only to preserve the mission of Startup Weekend (teamwork!) but also to minimize distractions/disruptions for all working teams.
At most Startup Weekends, a “Sunday Presentations Only” registration option is available for those wishing to view only the teams’ final presentations. (Please check the registration page of your city’s website for availability.)
Do I have to pitch an idea to attend?
No, but we encourage you to! You can pitch an idea you’ve been thinking about for years, or something last minute you think of during the event. It’s a great experience and invaluable practice for public speaking.
What should I bring?
- Power cord
- Business cards
- Camera – take pictures and video!
- Optional: A second monitor, keyboard, etc…. set yourself up to be productive!
- Lots of creative energy!
How do I prepare?
- Do some research. Market research and background information will give you a better understanding of the probelm your trying to solve.
- Practice your pitch. You’ll have 60 seconds to persuade other attendees to join your team. Make it clear, concise, and convincing!
- Get familar with our tools for the weekend, head over to startupweekend.org/resources
- Get some rest.
- Bring a friend! Events are better with good company.
What are the rules?
We have rules for the weekend that ensure everyone has a great experience. These are detailed in our Terms of Agreement.