The 2016 Startup Weekend for Health Brisbane was another awesome event.
Videos were produced for the event that celebrated team journeys through the weekend for teams SIDLET (baby sleep pattern diagnostics), Mind your Mob (Assisting in Mental Health for Indigenous Australians), Working Mouse (a corporate team using the Weekend for employee training purposes) as well as interviews with participants, facilitators and mentors.
Check them out at Youtube Startup Weekend for Health Brisbane Playlist
176 Tickets were sold inclusive of participants, organisers, volunteers, mentors, sponsor ticket and attendees for Friday and Sunday night pitching. 78 people participated as part of the Startup teams.
Participants came from a variety of backgrounds, including clinicians, researchers, students, non-technical and entrepreneurs. Most had NOT been to a startup weekend before and this was a fantastic opportunity to experience first hand the power of collaboration that comes with the Startup Weekend format.
ON the Friday, there were 33 idea pitches resulting in 12 teams being formed.
Most teams remained together throughout the weekend with a few adjustments.
The 12 teams pitched their new businesses on Friday night to an audience of approximately 130 people.
Congratulations to the winners from the weekend, including:
- Overall winner – Nom Nom Snap – An app to derive nutrition information from photos of food.
- Most innovative business – Sidlet – Infant Sleep Patterns
- Most validated initiative – Mind Your Mob – indigenous Mental Health
We had some awesome sponsorship support. Many, many thanks to:
- Microsoft, IP Australia, Advance Queensland – Platinum Sponsors
- Cook Medical, KPMG, Global Business Challenge, QUT Bluebox / IHBI, Capital Markets CRC, Davies Collison Cave IP – our Gold Sponors
- Venue Sponsor by Brisbane’s TRI – Translational Research Institute
- In kind sponsors ilab, AMA Queensland and Medaxs,
- and food sponsors Perkii Probiotic drinks and Knox&Aya Icecream
Thanks to the 20 mentors who provided their free time to assist in the event. We bow down to your wisdom and support!
Many thanks to our judges Dr. Chris Zapalla (President of AMA Queensland), Mr. Steven Dahl (CEO, Smart Clinics), Dr. Judy Halliday (UniQuest) and Dr. Clarence Tan (Singularity University).
We raised some money as well – Four organisers / mentors also raised money for Leukaemia research at the event by participating in the World’s Greatest Shave initiative and shaving their heads on the Sunday, raising $4,500.
Thanks to all the participants, mentors, organisers and sponsors for your brilliant support of this event!!
Bernie Woodcroft, Lead Organiser