It is finally happening! For the first time in history Startup Weekend comes to Oulu. This action packed event which has been organized in over 150 countries and hosted +190k people will now make a mark in our Northern community.
We invite all of you designers, developers, business people, philosophers, educators, and innovators to join us.
You are now probably asking why would you participate. Read on my friend and get to know what Startup Weekend Oulu is all about.
What are Startup Weekends?
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events where people gather together to innovate and build startups. In just one weekend, you will experience the fun highs and nerve-racking lows that are part of the fascinating life at a startup.
The event is designed to provide superior hands-on education by actually driving you to create things.
Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic minimum viable product (MVP) creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night pitches to a jury of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. See the full schedule here.
You as a participant are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of your daily networks.
Who you’ll meet at Startup Weekend Oulu:
You’ll meet the very best mentors, investors, co-founders, and sponsors who are ready to help you get started. Startup Weekends attendees’ backgrounds are roughly
50% technical (developers, coders, designers) and
50% business (marketing, finance, law, creatives).
But notice that anyone who has passion and spark for making startup magic happen is welcome, regardless of your background.
Why you should come to Startup Weekend Oulu:
The main three reasons people get involved with Startup Weekend are
- desire to network
- enthusiasm to develop a product
- eagerness to learn how to create a new venture.
After the event, over 50% of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
It is although impossible to measure all the people who will later go on and build new ventures with the people they met in Startup Weekend. Many people take this event as their first training session that gives the needed confidence to leap to the path of becoming a startup founder or an employee.
10 great things you’ll get out of the event:
1. Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
2. Co-Founder Dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
3. Have fun: During the weekend working alongside awesome people who share your ideas. Startup Weekend Oulu is meant to be fun and entertaining so enjoy it.
4. Solve local problems with your ideas. Do you think that one of your idea can change your town or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community.
5. Build Your Network: Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs – like you!
6. Learn New Skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
7. Learn How to Launch a Business (and Actually Do It!): Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
8. Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in our community. Check out who you’ll meet on our website.
9. Get Access to Valuable Startup Resources: By participating in Startup Weekend Oulu you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
10. Save Money: Startup Weekends are affordable (typically 99€, only 50€ for this edition thanks to our amazing sponsors). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink.
Weekend on April 22-24 is going to be no talk and all action. Save the date and get your ticket!
Startup Weekend Oulu Team