Team Stories, Updates:
- A huge congratulations goes out to Sao Paolo SW team ‘Easy Taxi,’ who is currently on a funding spree! The team recently secured $15 M in one round and $10 M in another round of investments.
Crunch Base Daily report: “Sao Paulo-based, taxi app developer Easy Taxi raised a $10 million round from Africa Internet Holding, Millicom, and Rocket Internet. With this round, Easy Taxi plans to expand into Africa and continue its growth in Asia and the Middle East. Easy Taxi reported 1.5 million downloads with 45,000 taxi drivers in their network. Founded in 2011, Easy Taxi has raised $25 million.”
Here’s how the app works: “…Users take a photo of the wall that they want to hang a piece of art on, pick the size that they would like, and the app suggests art they might like and allows them to see what it would look like in that space. Users of the app can flip through various works of art to evaluate them. When they find one they like, they can save it for later. The app also provides more info about the artist and the piece that they’re looking at. And it also learns over time the type of art that they like, providing more personalized recommendations over time. It takes into account all users interactions with the art to determine which pieces are most likely to please a customer.” Learn more about the app on TechCrunch.
Startup Research: The Science Behind Team Spirit
The goal of this paper is to shed light on the importance of team synchrony, especially when pitching an idea to a potential customer or investor, and to guide you through the best practices for establishing strong team dynamics and overall synchrony.
This paper is based primarily on team data and observations collected from Startup Weekend events. Findings proved a strong correlation between overall success at events and team synchrony.
If you want to know more about synchrony and how it can help your business or team, this paper is for you. Enjoy!
- Huffington Post: Don’t Have a Passion Yet? Start Investing in Yourself by Keith Armstrong, Director of NEXT at UP Global
“I feel let down and mildly annoyed at the grand opaqueness of advice given by university commencement speakers such as “follow your bliss”, “listen to your heart”, or “do something you’re passionate about.” That’s all well and good, but that advice isn’t very practical if you haven’t found your bliss, or you don’t have a passion, or perhaps have a difficult time listening to your heart. For those still searching, what are they to do?”
Armstrong answers this question with useful ways to get your creative search for your passions underway.
- Wall Street Journal: Foodler Launches Free National White-Glove Food Delivery and Special Event Planning Service for Businesses
- Wall Street Journal: UP Global board member Steve Blank weighs in on defining founding roles within startups. Check out the content stream here.
- Forbes: Picture This: An App That Puts Art On Your Walls For Cheap
- Tech Crunch: ARTtwo50 Launches iPad App To Help You Find Affordable Art For Your Home
- Tech Crunch: Easy Taxi, Rocket Internet’s Latin American Hailo, Comes To Africa With Another $10M In Funding
- Venture Beat:Brazil’s Easy Taxi raises $15M to become e-hailing front-runner in emerging markets
We have 3 positions open and we may be biased, but we think they are pretty exciting ones! If you want to be a part of a global company working to educate and inspire entrepreneurs, we want you!
- Regional Manager
- Product Manager (NEXT)
- Web Developer
Learn More and apply at our jobs page: http://startupweekend.