ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url
UP Global to collaborate with the State Department to expand to 1000 cities by 2016
In 2011, the Startup America Partnership was founded in response to President Obama’s call to celebrate, inspire, and accelerate high-growth entrepreneurship throughout the United States. This independent alliance of entrepreneurs, major corporations, and service providers has mobilized over $1 billion in business resources for U.S. startups, promoted business development opportunities between startup founders and corporate executives, and organized 30 regional entrepreneurship networks across the country.
In 2009, Startup Weekend first created a 54-hour event to educate and inspire aspiring entrepreneurs and stimulate a grassroots entrepreneurial movement around the world. Startup Weekend has grown rapidly since its 2009 inception and now runs programs in over 500 cities and 110 countries around the world with over 10,000 community leaders and volunteers.
The Startup America Partnership and Startup Weekend joined forces in May of 2013 to build on their strengths and networks to assist entrepreneurs at home and abroad. The two organizations merged to form UP Global to connect startup communities around the world and give entrepreneurs a platform of programs and resources. By merging the Startup America Partnership’s proven regional model with Startup Weekend’s empowerment of grassroots leadership, UP Global is poised to support the creation of thriving entrepreneurial communities, led by strong and connected community leaders.
With the help of the United States Government, UP Global has committed to double its impact over the next three years by establishing programs in over 1,000 cities around the world by 2016. This significant increase in entrepreneurship globally will result in stronger communities and leadership at the local level and a more connected and thriving global economy in a world that demands shared prosperity and innovations more than ever before.
UP Global will commit to operations in each city, offering a platform that connects existing leadership, resources, and entrepreneurs in communities while also delivering some of the best high-impact programs for entrepreneurs in the world, including:
- Startup Weekend: A 54-hour event that educates aspiring entrepreneurs by immersing them in the process of moving an idea to market.
- NEXT: A five-week course for early-stage startup founders to better understand their product or service, become ideal candidates for accelerators or incubators, and fully integrate proven entrepreneurial methodologies.
- Startup Digest: The world’s largest curated source of information, news, and resources for anyone interested in entrepreneurship. All content is tailored to reflect the local community, and subscribers receive a personalized digest each week.
- Corporate Connections: A platform that builds connections between startups and corporations based on shared goals and industries. The platform allows startups to develop corporate partnerships, mentoring relationships, client and vendor relationships, and licensing opportunities in new and meaningful ways.
UP Global will work with the U.S. State Department, with the help of the Department of Commerce and USAID, to bring programs like these to new corners of the planet, tailor them to the needs of specific communities, and help secure the resources and network to bring these efforts to life. This collaboration will help achieve the objective of doubling the reach of entrepreneurship programs and resources by 2016 by:
- Connecting: UP Global and the State Department will work together to help establish new UP Global chapters in 500 new cities and augment existing resources available to aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Leveraging Networks: The State Department will draw on its extensive networks in target countries to bring in local business leaders and prominent American entrepreneurs to reinforce UP Global’s programs and events.
- Drawing attention to the cause: UP Global and the State Department will coordinate to get information out about the entrepreneurship resources available through UP Global, including, when appropriate, through social media channels and outreach to local press.
Through these efforts, UP Global will drive the creation of over half a million new entrepreneurs worldwide in the next three years.