Startup Weekend took on Seattle, WA, home of Startup Weekend HQ, rallying some of the community’s greatest (and youngest) innovators! Two highly-motivated high school students from Eastlake High in Sammamish attended and delivered a dynamite presentation for their social networking site, Student Navigator, while Judge Matt Mcllwain, a managing partner at a Seattle VC firm, brought his 8-year-old son to watch the presentations and judges’ deliberations. Further proof that you’re never too young to get started! We would like to congratulate the 170 participants, 21 teams, and the faithful group of volunteers on an awesome event!
A recap from lead organizer, Sasha Pasulka:
“Seattle Startup Weekend was an enormous success. Selling out nearly a month in advance, it was definitely the place everyone in the startup scene wanted to be – despite it being one of the first sunny weekends of the summer. We had enormous sponsor support from local companies, including Amazon Web Services, Gist, Aeon Law, Startup Academy International, ThinkSpace, Bookr, The Cheezburger Network, WTIA and Stiff. Plus, the folks at local coffee startup Trabant were kind enough to support the tech startup scene, providing a hot breakfast for our teams each morning. We are always amazed at what our teams can create over a weekend, and we look forward to watching each of these products develop further with the support of the Seattle tech community.”
Organizers: Sasha Pasulka
Facilitators: Marc Nager, Jennifer Cabala
Speaker: Dr. Winslow Sargeant, Chief Counsel for the U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy
- 1st Place: A Place For Rover
- A Place for Rover connects dog owners and dog hosts. The solution to kennel cough, cost and chaos.
- 2nd Place: Forms For Hire
- A hosted solution for HR documents and forms. Hiring Forms, employee records tracking, W-4s, all signed, sealed, delivered and stored. Available state by state.
- 3rd Place: Ride My Design
- Customize your graphics on the name-brand skis and boards you already love. Upload your own creation or select a design from our community. We’ll build it, and ship it to you.
- Geekwire: An Airbnb for your pet? A Place for Rover wins best in show at Startup Weekend
- Geekwire Video: Watch the high school whiz kids who wowed Seattle Startup Weekend
To find more information and when Startup Weekend is returning to Seattle visit http://seattle.startupweekend.org