Patriot Boot Camp
presented by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Techstars Patriot Boot Camp is a program under the Techstars Risingstars umbrella with a specific focus on our nations Veterans and their families. Patriot Boot Camp was created with the belief that Veterans have the skills and motivation to become exceptional entrepreneurs. We hope participation in Patriot Boot Camp will be the catalyst for them to kick-start a company, find co-founders, and advance as entrepreneurs. Attendance to PBC is open to active military, Veterans, and/or their spouses at no cost. Those interested in attending can apply here.
Over the course of the 3-day program, PBC leverages the Techstars network to provide entrepreneurial education and mentoring to help participants solidify a business idea, focus their fundraising pitch, and demonstrate progress along their entrepreneurial and employment path.
Patriot Boot Camp mentors and speakers are drawn from a rich pool of our mentors, alumni, and friends from the Techstars community. These are highly motivated individuals who are emotionally invested in supporting Veteran entrepreneurs. Speakers like General George Casey and U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park are just two of many prestigious leaders who have attended previous PBCs. The opportunity to learn from and network with such an exceptional group of leaders is an amazing opportunity to say the least.
Previous participants come from all walks of life in the entrepreneurial community. Men and women, officers and enlisted, all come together to improve themselves professionally and entrepreneurially.
A few alumni have been kind enough to share their blog posts (here and here) about their experience and how it served the veteran community. You can also watch this video from the 2013 Patriot Boot Camp.
Follow us on Twitter @PatriotStartups to stay up to date on changes and additions to the schedule.
The mission of PBC is to give Veterans and their spouses the tools and resources they need to be successful entrepreneurs and build companies of scale and impact. This mission is based on four fundamental beliefs:
- Veterans’ skills and experience make them excellent entrepreneurs
- Empowering Veterans and military spouses to start their own companies will help them become the drivers of their own financial security
- Veteran entrepreneurs will help solve Veteran unemployment because they love hiring other Veterans
- Veterans will be the engine for economic growth in the United States
Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Patriot Boot Camp is presented by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. The Kauffman Foundation has been a strong and continuous supporter of Patriot Boot Camp and its mission the help Veterans start companies. They have worked to ensure the value of our program continues long after the event ends, and they have been integral to building the Patriot Boot Camp community.
In addition to our sponsors, we have worked with several supporting partners to improve and communicate the value of Patriot Boot Camp to as many Veterans as possible. We would like to give a special thanks to those organizations who believe in our program and our mission:
- Blue Star Families
- Institute for Veterans and Military Families
- Veterans Incubator for Better Entrepreneurship
- Inc. Military Entrepreneurs
- Stack Exchange
- University Tees
- Alphabet City Brewing Company
- Diane James Home
Also, several Supporting Partners have been kind enough to donate books to all of our participants. A special thanks to:
- Bill Aulet and Kauffman Foundation for Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup
- Noam Wasserman and Kauffman Foundation for The Founder’s Dilemma: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
- Steve Blank and Bob Dorf for The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-by-Step Guide to Building a Great Company
- Eric Ries and Random House for Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses