Follow Will on Twitter @DigiServices1
Listen to our interview with Wade Foster of Zapier, a Startup Weekend success story to come out of Startup Weekend Columbia, Missouri. Zapier connects the web apps you use to easily move data and automate tedious tasks. Zapier was founded by Wade Foster, Bryan Helmig, and Mike Knoop and was founded on Startup Weekend.
October 2011 Zapier won Startup Weekend Columbia, Missouri
April 2012 Zapier attended Y Combinator and relocated to Mountain View, California
March 2013 Zapier is now offering more than 200 web services to thousands of users.
Be sure to check out Zapier’s Website; www.Zapier.com
Don’t forget to follow Zapier on Twitter @Zapier and like their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ZapierApp. Wade also host regular hangout on Google +, if you’d like to hang out with Wade be sure to +1 his Google page https://plus.google.com/+WadeFoster/posts.
By Will Haire
Follow Will on Twitter @DigiServices1
Have you ever been camping? Think of Startup Weekend like a weekend camping trip. You will have to make sure you have everything you need because you will rarely leave the space where you and your team are working. Remember, every minute counts and you do not want to waste time looking for a power cord.
Here is a list of supplies we recommend bringing:
- Laptop, tablet, and Smartphone or any device that can be connected to the Internet. You will need this for conducting research, working, checking Facebook, and capturing key moments and sharing them with your community. Keep in mind; you are doing something cool and different with your weekend. Time to gloat!
- Power Cords, Power Cords, Power Cords. If I had a nickel for every time I left my charger at home, I would be five cents richer. Be prepared to charge all your devices throughout the day.
- A notebook with pens. Sometimes old fashioned written notes and sketches are the best way to communicate with new teammates.
- A water bottle. The organizers will be providing beverages, but you want to stay hydrated throughout the weekend. Remember, dehydration makes Jack a dull boy!
- Snacks. Once again, the organizers will be providing snacks, but if you have dietary restrictions or if you have a concoction you like to make to keep you energized and focus, by all means bring it with you.
- Attire. Feel free to dress comfortably. Wear comfortable shoes and dress in a way that will allow you to do your best thinking and best work. I don’t think anyone will judge you if you show up in your pajamas!
- Headphones. If you get in the “zone” and do not want to be distracted by conversations and energy surrounding you. Be prepared to tune others out and get down to business.
- Business cards. You are going to be meeting new people and contacts you may want to keep in touch with. If you do not have business cards, you are entitled to 50 free cards from our sponsor Moo.com. (Reach out to me on twitter @DigiServices1 with your startup weekend receipt number and I’ll send you the promo code)
- Positive Attitude: Startup Weekend is a very dynamic environment filled with highs and lows. Be prepared to go with the flow and keep an open mind and a positive attitude.
We look forward to seeing you at the Stamford Startup Weekend. Bring anything that will help with your creativity and comfort, beanbags sweat pants, and good times!
What a Great Weekend! The teams were preparing for their pitches till the very last minute! Everyone who attended the event was a winner, but there can only be one true winner. So, with no further ado, we have the top 3 winners of Startup Weekend Stamford!
1st Place – Pop.Up Shoppees
Utilizing recycled shipping containers and fabricating them into pop up businesses that will prove to be affordable, sustainable, and mobile… AWESOME!
2nd Place: Deja You
Social made simple. A group chat for social networks. http://www.dejayouapp.com/
3rd Place: Credit Spring
Prosper for pay-day loans, real-time, online. Get out of the pay-day loan cycle, and build a credit history. www.creditspring.us
To all participants; please review the judges comments on the Score My Pitch platform, http://scoremypitch.com/eScorecard-detail.cfm?eventID=54#.U02G8uaxLnJ.
Thank you to everyone who participated. This event was a blast, we can’t wait till next year!