One year ago, we announced the launch of Techstars Lisbon in partnership with Semapa Next. We visited several cities and attended events across the world to select 10 amazing teams that are solving problems in manufacturing, transportation, logistics, sustainability, and travel and leisure.
Now, it is time to do it all over again! First and foremost, we want to meet as many founders as possible in-person – so we will be visiting cities across North America, Europe, and Asia conducting office hours with local startups, hosting presentations, webinars and generally trying to connect with as many great entrepreneurs, community leaders and investors as possible. Some of the cities we will visit this year will be Chicago, Boston, Singapore, Kiev, Paris, Milan, Berlin, Munich, Paris, London, Barcelona and Madrid. We also want to visit local tech hubs in Braga, Porto, Aveiro, Coimbra and Lisbon!
If you are interested in meeting with us, please apply for Office Hours here.
We are maintaining our investment focus in 2020 in Industrial Tech, Environmental Tech, Smart Transportation and Travel & Leisure Tech because we believe our program can add unique value in these areas. More specifically, Semapa Next can mobilize a wide array of strategic partnerships with leading local and international corporations to provide access to piloting opportunities, distribution channels and additional mentorship connections in these areas.
I’m also curious about various business and technology trends that can lead to untapped opportunities to build global companies including:
- Smart manufacturing – What products are combining different technologies to disrupt the factory stack? From intelligence to design to production, what products – full-stack or vertical platforms – are combining technologies – such as Big Data, AI, Design tools, Digital Twin, middleware, edge computing, computer vision, AR, Industrial IoT, Robotics and/or 3D printing – to transform traditional linear manufacturing processes into agile, real-time collaborative processes?
- Circular economy – What products or businesses are being created that minimize waste and/or make the most of resources as part of their mission? For example, 2019 Techstars Lisbon alumni 20tree combines AI, satellite imagery and computing power to unlock timely and accurate insights of natural resources.
- “Humanization” – Are there products addressing specific problems for families in the mobility and travel segments? What products are leveraging technology to make the human element or human interaction stand out as a key differentiator? For example, our alumni Seek Sophie offers over 1,000 hand-picked guides for adventure experiences in Southeast Asia.
- Low code as a solution – What products are transforming “emerging” technologies into vertical low-code solutions with simple user-interface and easy configuration tools? For example, Techstars Lisbon portfolio company tagSpace offers low-code tools to easily create mobile, AR location-based experiences for Festivals and Big Events.
- Voice as a solution – What big problems for people and businesses can be solved with voice technology? What products are being developed to disrupt traditional business processes using voice technology as the driver for value creation? For example, our portfolio company Verbz is using voice technology to save 5 hours per week to busy professionals.
- “Consumer apps for business” – What products are being built with simple & beautiful UX for traditional businesses? What products are using a bottom-up approach like Slack or Dropbox as a go-to-market strategy? For example, our portfolio company Circuit has proved that people (Courier drivers) still rely on the opinion of their colleagues to make professional decisions.
If your work relates to any of these topics, apply for Office Hours to speak with us and learn more about Techstars Lisbon in partnership with Semapa Next.
The applications are open now and you can get yours started online now!
We are thrilled to announce Techstars Class 169 and share the first 10 companies of Techstars Lisbon in partnership with Semapa Next. This year, our program will focus on companies that are solving problems in manufacturing, transportation, logistics, sustainability, and travel and leisure.
Our inaugural class represents a great deal of diversity. We received hundreds of applications from all over the world! The companies that have been selected to join us for this year’s program in Lisbon are coming from the U.S., U.K., Australia, Germany, France, Slovenia, Singapore, and Portugal. We have software and hardware companies, mostly B2B, but also B2C. They range from low revenue to millions in revenues, from no funds raised to millions of funds raised to cash-flow positive.
We guarantee you that you are going to fall in love with these teams and their passion to change the world—just like we did. We look forward to the next three months of intense work, life-changing moments, and new friendships, culminating into our very first demo day on May 29, 2019.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed, and strong partners and mentors make this happen. The sole focus of Techstars and Semapa Next will be to help these 10 companies grow, with the support of our partners and our amazing mentor network.
Last but not least, we’d like to say “thank you” to our mentors, sponsors, partners, and alumni for their amazing support and their commitment to #givefirst—with a special thank you to the team at Semapa Next for their invaluable commitment to the success of our partnership.
Without further ado, here are the Techstars Lisbon in partnership with Semapa Next 2019 companies:
Hello fellow founders!
Techstars Lisbon in partnership with Semapa Next is looking for amazing teams that are solving big problems in the manufacturing, environmental, transportation, logistics, travel and leisure industries. While our applications are open, we prepared several ways to engage with you – from in-person meetups to 1-on-1 office hours to online webinars.
First and foremost, we want to meet in-person as many of you as possible – so I will be visiting cities across North America, Europe, and Asia doing office hours with local startups, hosting presentations and generally trying to connect with as many great entrepreneurs, community leaders, investors and others as possible. Have a look at the locations below and sign up for the meetups in your city:
Recent past events
- Chicago at 1871 – August 23rd – Join us here
- Stockholm after STHLM Tech Fest – September 3rd – Join us here
- Paris at Partech Shaker – September 5th – Join us here
- Singapore at WeWork – September 13th – Join us here
- Berlin at Techstars Berlin – 25th September 21st – Sign up here (only one-on-one office hours)
- Toronto at Elevate – September 27th – Join us here
- Madrid at Google Campus – October 2nd – Join us here
- Tallinn with Tera Ventures – October 10th – Join us here
- Riga with TechHub Riga – October 11th – Link to be added
- Kiev with iHub – October 16th – Join us here
- Sofia with Launchub – October 18th/25th – Link to be added
- Warsaw at Wolves Summit – October 23rd/24th – Sign up here (only one-on-one office hours)
- Milan – TBD
- Barcelona – TBD
- Amsterdam – TBD
- Munich with Techstars Munich – October 30th – Join us here
- Lisbon during Web Summit – November 5th – Join us here
Alongside these events, I love to talk with startups about product-market fit, growth hacking, business model design, funding strategies and more. I’m offering mentoring via one-on-one meetings every week in Lisbon and in each city I’m traveling to until November 11th when applications close. So let me know if you’d like to chat – just sign up below for more.
- Techstars Lisbon Office Hours – Request here
We also organized webinars with Q&A sessions to share with you why Lisbon is a great place to grow your company:
- Monday, October 1st, 5:00 PM GMT – Webinar #1 – Sign up here
- Friday, October 19th, 6:00 PM GMT – Webinar #2 – Sign up here
I will be hosting these 60 minute webinars, which will cover what Techstars is, how the program works, what the value is for companies and founders (including help with funding), and, of course, some tips on how to apply.
The Lisbon program starts on the 4th of March with a Demo Day in May. The applications are open now and you get yours started online now!
Techstars, the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed, announced the Techstars Lisbon Accelerator in partnership with Semapa Next last week. Now that the applications are open, I would like to provide more insight about this program and what I hope to achieve as its managing director.
First and foremost, this program is for you, the founders. If you are obsessively thinking about how to grow your customer base, shape your product to customer feedback, or build the most talented team to achieve your vision, I would love to chat with you – simply request an office hour. For the past seven years, I have been an entrepreneur and was co-founder/CEO of a high-growth technology company that received $3 million in seed funding before being acquired by a Silicon Valley based company funded by Mark Cuban and the Chan Zuckerberg Education initiative.
As a founder and CEO, I can share with you the best practices and challenges that arise from growing the team from a couple of founders to 25 people, accelerating the client base from 10 pilots to 250+ paying clients in 40+ US states, or scaling a product from MVP to a client solution. Most importantly, I know how it feels – the ups and downs. I understand how hard it is, everyday, to overcome the challenges that arise from building something new. Together with Techstars worldwide network and Semapa Next’s strengths, I strongly believe that we can help you succeed.
I am thrilled that we can run this program in my hometown. Lisbon has an open and supportive community that is growing to quickly become a top European ecosystem. The startup talent is immense, the ecosystem is vibrant and growing twice the European average, leading tech companies are opening strategic offices, corporations have funding available to contract startups services, and the local government continues to provide strong incentives to create global startups.
As David Brown mentioned in his announcement, Techstars has long had a presence in Lisbon through the Techstars Startup Weekend, dating back to 2011 and a sizeable number of Techstars accelerator alumni Portuguese companies. These alumni are part of a growing but highly experienced mentor pool that include Portuguese companies with valuations over a billion dollars (Farfetch and Outsystems) and scale-ups (Unbabel, Veniam, Feedzai, among others) that collectively have raised billions of dollars.
Semapa Next is the Venture Capital arm of Semapa, a leading diversified Portuguese group, listed in the Lisbon Stock Exchange with two of the most significant market caps. Semapa can mobilize a wide array of strategic partnerships with leading local and international corporations to provide access to piloting opportunities, distribution channels and additional mentoring.
We are focused on Industrial & Environmental Tech (AI or Machine Learning to transform the core processes of industrial businesses), Smart Transportation (technology to create and deliver new mobility solutions) and Travel & Leisure Tech (radically transform processes in Travel or Leisure businesses). This means that we have a deep understanding of these topics and we can offer you unique resources to help you accelerate your business.
Seven years ago when I started my journey as an entrepreneur, I would say that you would be crazy to come to Lisbon to accelerate your company, today I can confidently say that you are crazy not to do it!