Welcome to the final day of Startup Weekend Nanaimo! Its the final stretch and you should be working on your Sunday Night presentation soon. The format is this: 5 minutes to present, 5 minutes of questions & answers. You may use slides or other multi-media on the TV in the seminar room downstairs. You may also have 1 person present or your whole team, its up to you (but I recommend 1 person).
At 3pm Jeff will be running a “pitch clinic” to help get 1 person from each team focused on their presentation. Stay tuned for more info.
At 4pm we’ll be doing a technology check in the main room, to ensure that you can connect to the TV. The building offers a single, simple, and reliable option: Apple TV. If you want to connect in any other way, you’ll need to use your own cables, etc. If you don’t have an Apple device on your team, you can copy your presentation over to one of the organizer’s computers and they’ll put it on the TV for you.
Dinner will be at around 5pm, then we’ll congregate downstairs in the lounge to meet our judges and see your final presentations.
Remember that judges want to see you demonstrate that you’ve done customer validation, you’ve developed a realistic business model, and that you’ve built something! Make sure to tell the audience how you talked to customers, how many, what you heard, and what you did with that info. Tell us how you came to the business model you’ve presented and tell us why its the best. Finally, show us your product!
Let any organizer or the facilitator know if you have any questions. Good work, and good luck!
Welcome to Saturday of Startup Weekend Nanaimo! We had a great Friday night and today is off to a great start already.
Some teams don’t have a software developer or designer on them, so we’ve put together a list of resources that may help you show execution and design when you present on Sunday night.
- Word Press (host on your own, host with them for free or paid)- https://wordpress.com/ or https://wordpress.org/
- Square Space (14 day free trial, no credit card required)- http://www.squarespace.com/
- Wix (14 day free trial and free option, no credit card required)- http://www.wix.com/
- Launchrock (landing pages and user signup, free)- https://www.launchrock.com/
- Pop App (free and paid, mobile creation capability)- https://popapp.in/
- GoodBarber (30 day free trial, no credit card then $16/month)- http://www.goodbarber.com/
- Appmakr ($1/month)- http://www.appmakr.com/
Design & Creative
- Hipster Logo Generator (free, enough said)- http://www.hipsterlogogenerator.com/
- Fiverr (get anything created for as little as $5)- https://www.fiverr.com/
- Invision (interactive wireframes, free and paid options)- http://www.invisionapp.com/
- Fluid (Free and paid app mockups for designers) – https://www.fluidui.com/
Automation & Integration
- Zapier (trigger actions from other software, free and paid options)- https://zapier.com/
- IFTTT (trigger actions from other software, free)- https://ifttt.com/
- Google Docs/Slides (Free to all Gmail users)- https://docs.google.com/presentation/
- Prezi (free and paid options)- http://prezi.com/
- Haiku Deck (free, started at a Startup Weekend!)- https://www.haikudeck.com/
Give these a look and the organizers know if we can point you in any other directions.