8 teams participated during Techstars Startup Weekend Kansas City on September 20-22, 2019. We enjoyed participants from Kansas City, MO, Iowa, Columbia, MO, Nebraska, and other parts of the world. Global Ties KC brought 35 different international delegates from every corner of the world including Fiji, Georgia, Haiti, Tajikistan, the UK, and Zimbabwe who took part in Startup Weekend’s activities.
Thank you to Safetyculture, JE Dunn, Kauffman Foundation, UMKC Regnier Institute, and Black & Veatch for allowing us to make this event happen.
- 1st Place Ecoeye (WeWork 3 Month Membership & Black & Veatch Accelerator Consult)
EcoEye is a company focused on reducing plastic waste. To do that EcoEye is using biodegradable eco-friendly plastics to package products, starting with the eye care industry.
- 2nd Place Recycle4YOU (Meeting with JE Dunn Investment)
Recycle4YOU is a company that aims to gamify recycling to elementary schoolers. We will send out specialized bins to schools that can track how much each student has recycled using the school’s already implemented ID system and convert it into points for competition.
- 3rd Place CuePlay (Hammerspace 3 Month Membership)
CuePlay simply the process of renting a pool tables both for players and business establishments by using technology for mobile devices and Internet of Things.
- Staychill: We provide a cooling and support accessory you can attach to your existing backpack that eliminates back sweat while wearing your backpack.
- Pet Tech: HotDog collar will make safety concerns a thing of the past by implementing our temperature reading and GPS tracking technology. Your phone will automatically update you on your dogs status, warning you of potential weather related threats and alerts you if your dog leaves your backyard.
- SocialNinja is a learning platform for K-5 classrooms that engages students while teaching social and emotional learning skills.
- Tidy Space is an online application that networks cleaning services with AirBnB property owners, it is intended to be reliable, efficient, and affordable, with built-in checks for both accountability and advocacy for everyone involved.
Techstars Startup Weekend Kansas City is around the corner. There are many ideas that anyone can describe on Friday night to have their dreams become a reality. Below are a list of industries where a product or hardware device can be created. Remember, a software can be developed to compliment the hardware or product. Of course the choice is yours, and we know great things happen during Startup Weekends.
- Clean Technology
- Education Hardware or Product
- Internet of Things (IOT)
- Redevelopment of an everyday household item
We are excited to announce prize offerings to winning teams.
Kansas City Startup Weekend is such a great place to learn about starting a business, network, being creative, and more. Our sponsors have shared the prizes that they will provide. We are excited to have their support and to announce prize offerings for winning teams. More prizes will be announced in the future.
Prize A from J.E. Dunn: Review of a business plan with JE Dunn Capital Partners, investment arm.
Prize B from Black & Veatch: A consult with Black & Veatch’s Growth Accelerator team