We are excited to be hosting the first-ever UP Global Regional Summit, right here in Santa Barbara, California. This inaugural event will bring together Community Leaders who have organized and facilitated Startup Weekend, Startup Digest, Startup Next, and Startup Education around the Western United States and beyond.
We expect 60-80 community leaders, UP Global staff and leadership, and special guests to converge February 19-22, 2015 in Santa Barbara.
Through a generous donation by The Eleos Foundation, housing at the Pacifica Graduate Institute, Ladera Campus, is FREE for participants (while space permits). This beautiful campus offers breathtaking views and scenic accommodations.
The program for the long weekend includes a curriculum of information for community leaders, plenty of networking and getting-to-know-you activities, fun excursion options for the physically active or wine-aficionado, explorations of the vibrant Santa Barbara startup community and successes, and of course a blow-out party with a special surprise.
Register online at southwestsummit.up.co
Santa Barbara locals who want to get involved, sponsor, or volunteer should contact me via twitter (@rongans) or LinkedIn.
Teams competed from 83 countries in five tracks. In each track the top 20 or so teams made the finals and from that elite group, the top three track winners were declared.
We are happy to announce that Santa Barbara team LUX Helmet, led by Alex Wynham, has taken second place in the Kind Track. They are in for some great GSB Prizes in addition to SWSB prizes they have already won.
Congratulations to the winning team!
Congratulations to Santa Barbara Startup Weekend’s own Global Startup Battle Finalists!
Teams competing during our recent Santa Barbara Startup Weekend had the option of entering a global competition with teams from 250+ cities around the world. Three of our teams entered the initial competition, which was evaluated based on your votes and hand selected judges. Of our three competitors, two have moved on to the final round of judging.
- Team LuxHelmet has entered the final round for the Kind Thing Track. Sponsored by Kind Snacks, this track recognizes socially impactful ideas, and team LuxHelmet certainly has an idea that can encourage bicycle use whole increasing safety.
- Team Miyagi has entered the final round for the Education Track. Sponsored by General Assembly, this track is about empowering people to pursue the work they love by providing access to 21st century skills. Team Miyagi does that with its innovated tutoring platform.
Thank you to the community for providing so much support for these teams!
As part of this battle, teams make a 90-sec video of their experience in a multi-track competition to win Big Prizes.
50% of the judging criteria are votes from the local community in support of the teams. You can help Santa Barbara win. It is quick and easy.
You may vote once per day, per team, per track, through Dec 3, 2014. So vote now, vote early, and vote often. And spread the word.
Vote by clicking all of these links and signing in every day.
Team Lightning Locks
More teams will be added to this post when the information comes in. Please support all of these teams. And enjoy the videos.
Update On Voting Issues: The links on this page are kept updated with the latest and greatest voting links. Please use the links from this page. Click on the thumbs up image so it turns red. Then your vote has been recorded.
All of the teams presenting at SWSB4 did a great job. Clearly there was a ton of learning, exploring, and meeting happening over these 54 hours. We encourage every team to explore continuing with their ideas and seeing where they go.
A few teams rose to the top. These are the awards and the prizes that the teams received:
First Place: Miyagi
- 1 year of GoToMeeting for each team member
- $500 worth of meeting time at Workzones
- Opportunity to Present at the Spirit of Entrepreneurship Foundation Awards
Second Place: Wanderluxe
- Lifetime Subscription at Ontraport
- Consulting with Patricia Schwartz
Third Place: Lux Helmet
- Lynda.com Memberships
- Legal Incorporation Package at BFAS LLP
Best Physical Product: Lux Helmet
- Memberships to StartupSB
- Financial Accounting Package from Bartlet Pringle and Wolfe LLP
Best MVP: MappApp
- Space at GEM for the team for a Month
Most Impactful: BeeMinder
- 2 Month Membership in the Impact Hub
Crowd Favorite: Miyagi
- Growlers from Pure Order Brew Co
Here are the teams that made the cut on Friday night. The list of teams presenting tomorrow may vary, if teams change names, teams drop, or any new teams form:
- Food Viva
- At First Sight
- The Sidekick
- Laundry Alert
- Lightning Lock
- The Academic Guru
- Player Two
- Able Age
- Free Now
- The Deedz App
- Zap the App
- Campus Share
- United Renters
- Bee Mo
Here are the pitches made last night. Thank you to all those folks who had the guts to stand up in front of 300 people and pitch their idea:
- Robert Hann – Folks To Phone
- Gabe Bryant – Disco
- Julie Scotland – Able Age
- Pablo Valladares – Global Marketplace
- Keanu Angle – Roy Koy
- Carrie Segal – Sidekick
- Michael o’Boyle – Laundry Alert
- Brandon In – Food Viva
- Andrew Pang – Lender
- Jeremy Williamson – Brewhub SB
- Taylor Sun – City Tour
- Magen Land – Garage
- Brendan Whiting – Bike Share
- Danette Wallace – Pitch Board App
- Leeron Azoulai – local learn
- Ajesh Bhojwani-Ball busters
- Oliver pihlar – Zap that app
- Reed mullanix – mappapp
- Stephen Maldonado – United Renters
- Nicholas Cunningham-Blind Brains
- Chris Springer-facebook Votes
- Reid peterson-tsukuru
- Charlene Sansone-gems finders
- Ryan guardino-Jogging Stroll
- Tyler Dorfman-Function
- Evan Bender-hearing Aid Tracker
- Walter Wood-Mind Sculpture
- Chris Eriksson-no tone
- Lucia Masarova-Auto Go
- Alex Saade-Campus Share
- Connie Alexander-Academic Guru
- Kelton Tembly-Bee Mo
- Christopher van Vleit-Smarter Toys
- Caleb Franzen-Wearable Pager
- Zachary Walker – Mo Time
- Alex Lobba-Flow of Leadership
- Mark Peterschick-The Maestro’s Baton
- Daniel Zynn- At First Sight
- Scott Ross-Garden Cube
- Mark Weeks-Remit
- John Pagano-Player Too
- Dillon Cao-Lightning Locks
- Evelyn Cui-Students Engaged in Actions of Hope (SEAH)
- Eugenia Plamadeala-Quick Lock
- Ricardo Hayes-The Deedz App
- Ricardo Haynes-Daycation
- Harry Hanssen-Free Now
- David Campos-Power
- Nate kirchhofer-Sport Power
- Donald Perkins-Connect Us
- Elliot Nounou-Simple Cuts
- Grant Pfund- Food Groupie
- Nicky Singh-Split Up
- Holly Vu-Barter
- Jason Singe-Undress Me
- Jeff Rawlings-No More Mortgages
- Derick Bowdell-Pure Critique
- Eva Sinha-Touch Share
- Thomas O’Boyle-Swim Cap
- Alex Wyndham-Head Light
- Jesus Salgado-Trip Advisor
- Kyle Bahneman- Stock Trade League
- Sunjay Dhama-Talk
- Sven Brueggemann-Smart Window
- Sam Sperling-On Time
- Jenny Roberts-No Ad Space
- Ryan Williams-Snap Chall
- Seed Amir-Park Share
- Matt Turner-Santa Barbara Hustlers
We happy to announce that once again, Santa Barbara Startup Weekend event information is available at your fingertips. You can get direct access to the schedule, mentors, judges, speakers, and sponsors from your phone. You also get easy access to the SWSB social feed, which is important as we compete in the Global Startup Battle twitter competition.
We will be using EventJoy for communication during the event, so get it on your phone now. You don’t want to miss important announcements, such as “Lunch is Ready!”.
Since SWSB is one of the best networking opportunities in town, you can create a personal profile to share your skills and let people know you are attending. You can check out who else will be attending, start thinking about people you might want to team up with, or figure out the name belonging to that familiar face.
SWSB is partnering with EventJoy to bring all of this to you completely free. Simply download the “EventJoy” app onto your phone, search for “Santa Barbara” under events, and select “Santa Barbara Startup Weekend #4”. Then share on twitter using the hashtag #SWSB to join the conversation!
As we prepare to unleash Santa Barbara Startup Weekend #4 (November 14-16, 2014) the highlights of our amazing SBSW #3 come to mind. If you were not there last year, this is a taste of what you missed:
- We completed against 200 other cities in the Global Startup Battle.
- 135 Team Participants pitched 62 ideas and formed 20 teams.
- Keynote speeches by Patrick Vlaskovits, Kevin O’Connor, and Chad Newell.
- 300+ people attended our Friday night blowout kickoff at Avelina Wine Company in Santa Barbara’s Funk Zone, with live music entertainment.
- Over two dozen expert mentors helped teams get their projects moving.
- Terrific food from vendors throughout town kept our teams humming at Workzones all weekend long.
- Sunday night team competition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, with winning teams Next Mover, GearUp, TouchStone, My Custom Cookie, and My Parking Spot.
- A who’s who panel of judges: Klaus Schauser, Jon Funk, Sean Malarkey, Mary Anne Masterson , Matthew McCall, Judy Bruton, JD, MSW, and Kevin O’Connor.
- Santa Barbara blowing away much larger cities in the Twitter Hashtag Battle.
Santa Barbara has established a national reputation for gathering a large number of participants, drawing top tier mentors, judges, and speakers, and offering “maker” experts at our events. Are you ready to help build an even bigger and better event this year? Join Santa Barbara Startup Weekend #4!