Australia’s very first Startup Weekend for Health was awesome. Thanks to all of the passion, commitment and talent from all of the participants, mentors and organisers and of course our generous sponsors.
There are some winners of course, but the biggest outcome was the variety of health of ideas brought to the Weekend and how participants made the most of the opportunity to link up with new people who bring entirely different skills to the table.
The range of startup ideas was impressive – devices that manage pressure sores in incapacitated patients, clinical patient dashboards for hospitals, emergency department kiosks, apps that link observed behaviours, locations and personal medical history to induce behavioural change and improve health outcomes, mental health systems, a device that reduces risks of misreading drug labels, a population health system that reduces health risks through personal water testing, a cloud system for heart monitoring and a system that enhances the connection of new parents with their neo-natal care babies.
All mashed together in 54 hours of intense creative activity.
The event featured kickoff speeches from some Queensland luminaries – Professor Ian Frazer, inventor of the Gardasil vaccine, and Dr Geoff Garrett, Queensland’s Chief Scientist.
Prizes. So here’s how it all ended up…
Overall Winner and Best Validation – Dr Know – Reminders for health checkups
- Prize – 3 Months Casual Membership at River City Labs + Guest pitch spot at HealthTechMeetup group’s next meeting on April 14 at Cook Medical.
Best Business / Execution – Happy Bum – System for managing pressure sores
- Prize – Presentation / Q+A with Queensland Health’s CTO Colin McCrirrick and his executive team + Guest pitch spot at HealthTechMeetup group’s next meeting on April 14 at Cook Medical.
Best Pitch and Best Collaboronaut – Triosk – Kiosk for Emergency Department triage.
- Prizes – Guest pitch spot at HealthTechMeetup group’s next meeting on April 14 at Cook Medical
- Collaboranaut is a phrase stolen from Queensland’s Chief Scientist and is awarded to the team or person who through their actions across the weekend bring together disparate skills and approaches to take on the stars.
Team SAVE was also awarded the opportunity for a presentation + Q+A with Queensland Health’s CTO Colin McCrirrick and his executive team, as well as automatic entry into ilab’s Germinate Selection Bootcamp.
Team MediChecker was awarded free strategy consultation with Cole Wilkinson of Pitcher Partners
Team HeartBit was awarded automatic entry into ilab’s Germinate Selection Bootcamp.
Honourable mentions also to Respire, Don’t Eat Here, MindHealth and Purity.
Some photos can be found at www.facebook.com/SWHealthBris.
SW guru and facilitator extraordinaire Aaron Birkby did a great radio interview about the weekend on ABC Gold Coast
Raw video from Dee Deng (Hire-Hive) is in the tin ready for editing. Stay tuned for its release coming in few weeks.
If you want you are interested in taking your entrepreneurial startups passion further, then you can check out the following:
- startupqld.org is a great goto place to find out about place, events, programs and organisations across Queensland that focus on Startups.
- Mentor Blaze – 23 April 2hr Speed Dating with Mentors, Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville
- Startup Weekend Gold Coast – Tourism 1st May
- ilab Germinate Startup Accelerator, applications close 3rd May
- RumpusOz Health Based Accelerator, applications close 3rd May
- Startup Weekend Sunshine Coast 8th May
- Unearthed Brisbane , 54 hour weekend, 15th May at River City Labs Brisbane
All hail our sponsors!!
The Translational Research Institute where we were hosted in fantastic facility. Great auditorium, excellent works space and wonderful atrium area to chill out.
The State Government of Queensland who made a great contribution from the Startup Queensland Fund
Intuit Quickbooks, fantastic national sponsor of Startup Weekends
elance, another of our fantastic Startup Weekend national sponsors
Cook Medical, IP Australia, ilab Startup Accleerator, Mindstar, MedAxs , QUT IHBI / BlueBox, Australian eHealth Research Centre, Suncorp, Altezza, Pitcher Partners and the Australian Medical Association Queensland