After attending Bootcamp you are probably wondering what to bring with you. You’ll need more than a laptop to make physical objects, so here’s a list of things we will have on site. Anything else you need for your project, that’s not included on the list below, you will have to bring with. We will refund you up to $100.oo PER TEAM so make sure you keep your receipts.
Before reading the list, we recommend you pre-install any software you may need (Arduino, CAD, etc.) for the event since WiFi can be unreliable at events.
Two (2) on site at LWIT, Saturday (all day), and Sunday (up to 3 PM).
- Maximum material size is 32” x 18”
- Materials: Wood (birch is best) or SandE from Home Depot
- 0.25″ acrylic at TAP plastics
- DO NOT get wood or acrylic that contains chlorine or glue meant for external surfaces.
Teams who need to solder components onto PCBs.
- Use either lead free .032 or smaller gauge or 60/40 rosin core smaller than .032
- Use Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD or various free software with plugins that export to DXF (Draftsight, Inkscape, etc.).
We’ll have a few 3d printers (various brands) and filaments on site that you can use on Saturday and Sunday. Liz Havlin will be around to help you print anything you need.
- Get your files as .obj, .stl, .gcode
- STL is great since it can be sent directly to the printer
- Slic3r to generate gcode files
- Matter Control to find out how long it will take to print and how much filament
Instead of the 3d printer and the laser cutter, you can use cardboard cut-outs for initial prototypes to speed up development.
Each team will be provided with one of these kits (more if we have supplies):
For consumables and other materials (plastic, acrylic, screws, wires, etc.) we recommend these local stores:
Vetco: 12718 Northup Way #100, Bellevue, WA 98005 – map
TAP Plastics: 12021 Northup Way, Bellevue, WA 98005 – map
Lowes: 11959 Northup Way, Bellevue, WA 98005 – map
Home Depot, Bothell: 18333 120th Ave NE, Bothell, WA 98011 – map
Fry’s: 800 Garden Ave N, Renton, WA 98057 – map
Radio Shack: 12543 Totem Lake Blvd NE, Kirkland, WA 98034 – map
Robot Mesh: 11251 120th Ave NE Ste 217, Kirkland, WA 98033
Tacoma Screw: 11200 120th Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033 – map
Ace Hardware: 6613 132nd Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033 – map
Here are some of the materials that were presented at Bootcamp today for your reference:
Intel Edison – Rex St. John – Up & Running with Seeed Studio Grove Starter Kit Plus & Intel Edison
Intel Edison – Rex St. John – Getting WiFi with Intel Edison On Yosemite / OSX
Intel Edison – Rex St. John – Setting up Intel Edition with Intel XDK