We had over 50 people on Wednesday night, after a brief overview of the vision for the region we got right down to brainstorming. We had put up the four pillars of the Blue Economy, Climate Change, Water/Wastewater, Fisheries and Energy however the group really focused in on fisheries.
In case you can’t read the text in the photo here’s a list of the ideas and topics discussed:
- Buy fresh buy local
- Community Supported Fishing (CSF) with a special focus on membership interacting with retail
- Municipal shellfish support
- Import/Export balancing: the idea that the Vineyard should have a balance of what gets exported and imported specifically with regard to fish/shellfish.
- Marketing: better marketing of the Island and its assets
- Little Guards: an ecologically focused summer program for kids
- Nitrogen Mitigation: cost effective treatment options
- Easement vs. conservation for shellfishing areas with a view
- Cultural sustainability: preserving the Island’s culture with a focus on sustainability
- Shellfish / Nitrogen Mitigation
- Working Harbors: especially places like Vineyard Haven
- Field Station: used for research, eco tourism, etc.
- Shellfish compost
There was a great article published on the event: https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2016/03/12/blue-economy-initiative-urges-island-entrepreneurs-look-ocean