At Techstars Startup Weekend Silicon Valley 2019 Social Impact Edition, we’re exploring what it mean to be building a startup in Silicon Valley with the pursuit of social impact alongside its financial goals. Our goal is to create an environment where passionate people can come together to get things done; to learn, network, bridge the gap between trades, expose potential, and create ideas and opportunities that drive real-world social change.
Judge Criteria Info:
The Startup Weekend Silicon Valley Social Impact judging criteria is broken up into 4 sections. Teams are judged according to the following 4 criteria (weighted equally):
- Impact Strategy (is it meaningful?)
- In what way does it promote sustainability, equity, and/or social justice?
- How do you measure the short term outcome and long term impact?
- How do you balance social impact and financial goals?
- Does it honor the integrity and ethical responsibilities of its stakeholders?
- Does it challenge the current state of affairs in our society?
- Customer Validation (does the business have a good understanding of customers and their needs)
- Who will be your users, who will be your customers (are they different)?
- Did your team get out and talk to users and customers?
- How many users have you interviewed?
- Did you target the correct people to interview?
- What did you learn from your customer interviews (revenue)?
- What are the core needs of your users?
- Execution & Design
- What feedback have you gotten to inspire your Minimum Viable Product?
- Did you build a prototype (paper or powerpoint is ok)?
- How effective is your “Minimal Viable Product” for the weekend (be it software, hardware, etc.)?
- How functional is your technical demo?
- How easy is it for the user to navigate and use your product?
- Were you able to incorporate customer feedback into the solution?
- Business Model (is this business feasible)
- Is it a big/unique idea?
- What is your key value proposition?
- How do you plan on making this a successful business?
- Have you thought about competition, how to scale, acquiring customers, revenue model etc.?
- Have you identified a specific target market?
- How will you acquire your first 100 customers?