Yes, you read that correctly – Google! We are so stinking excited to announce that Erin Bemis will be our speaker Saturday afternoon at Startup Weekend Evansville 7.0!!! Yup, your ticket that already gets all your meals for the weekend and gets you all the entrepreneurial education and access to thousands of dollars worth of business and legal coaching now also grants you access to a trainer from Google’s Get Your Business Online program!
We want as many people to participate and enjoy SWEVV as possible, but we know some of you have other commitments that weekend. If you cannot participate in the whole weekend, you can attend the Google presentation on Saturday. Tickets are only $25 and includes your lunch! So don’t delay – get your tickets today!
About the Program: Get Found on Google Search and Maps
Join us as an expert from Google’s Get Your Business Online program teaches about getting found on Google. Explore Google My Business, a free tool for local businesses, who want to connect with customers on Google Search and Maps. Get hands-on help creating or updating your listing, and take advantage of a free website.
About The Speaker: Erin Bemis
Erin is a speaker for Google’s Get Your Business Online program. She has spent the vast majority of her career working for and with small businesses and nonprofits in a variety of roles. Her passion for small business began with her family owned businesses. After college she learned the ins and outs of nonprofits, earning consecutive titles of Midsize Chamber of Commerce of the year as it’s executive. In recent years, she’s been working with marketing and technology companies like Constant Contact and Google, whose products make digital marketing easier for small businesses.
Erin has educated tens of thousands of attendees across North America in both small and large groups. A small business owner herself, she promises that you will leave today with simple, easy tips to immediately improve your marketing program. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing and Business Administration, along with a minor in French.
test blog post
In the renaissance of South Bend, Indiana, community leaders, groups of people with common efforts, and organizations with broad influence have helped align the ship we call home. Situated at the southern bend of the St. Joseph River, our city is home to great industry of the 20th century, infrastructure of the 21st century, and the people who will shape the future.
Our greatest asset has always been our people and our ingenuity is what has brought us prosperity. By harnessing the hydropower of the river, we created industry, with humble lands we have educated the leaders of tomorrow, and in our geography we have connected ideas. Through mass transit rail, our waterways, international aircraft, or digitally on the fiberoptic web, South Bend, Indiana embodies what it means to be the Crossroads of America.
Share in our enthusiasm as we embark on a broadening of our constituency base through 2020. In the next three years, our goal is to host Startup Weekend events four times per year, distribute deeper volumes of content in the Startup Digest, and host our annual Startup Week. Beyond Techstars’ suite of programs our groups hopes to support others in various events throughout the community as well, such as and not limited to: TEDxSBE, IgniteMICHIANA, Kickstarter Film Festivals, SXSB, Art Festivals, Music Festivals, and much more. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our community page http://communities.techstars.com/usa/southbendelkhart, and get involved any way you can. The sooner you start, the sooner you will learn what it takes to begin.
Here is another blog post on our South Bend, IN event page.
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. The weekend events are centered on action, innovation and education. Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos to a panel of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. Participants are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks.
Who You’ll Meet At Greater Lafayette Startup Weekend:
Startup Weekends attendees’ backgrounds are varied, but roughly-
- 50% technical (developers, coders, designers)
- 50% business (marketing, finance, law).
Why People Come to Startup Weekend:
- 29% of Startup Weekend participants attend an event to network.
- 20% attend to develop/build a product.
- 13% attend to learn how to create a new venture.
After the conference is over, roughly 80% of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
What You’ll Get Out of the Event:
- Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
- Co-Founder Dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
- Have Fun: During the weekend you’ll be working alongside awesome people who share your ideas. Startup Weekend is meant to be fun and entertaining, so enjoy it.
- Solve Local Problems with your Ideas: Do you think that one of your ideas can change your town or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community.
- Build Your Network: Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs- like you!
- Learn New Skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose, there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
- Learn How to Launch a Business (and Actually Do It!): Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
- Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
- Get Access to Valuable Startup Resources: By participating in Startup Weekend, you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves a Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
- Save Money: Startup Weekends are affordable (typically $99, we charge $50 for our event). Your ticket includes meals and snacks!
Join us September 15th – 17th at MatchBOX Coworking Studio, and #GetStartedUp!
Get your tickets HERE!
#GLSW2017 supports the innovators, visionaries, dreamers, and trailblazers in our community. Whether it’s an app or new piece of unique hardware, a new service or a new product, this is where you can take your idea from #imaginary to #innovationIRL!
At the close of the weekend, teams present their startup and receive feedback from judges. The top 2 teams will receive a prize package of services to help them continue their momentum from the weekend.
Prize packages have been carefully curated to provide some of the services that a startup will need to hit the ground running.
The two top teams from startup weekend will each receive:
- A yearlong membership to MatchBOX Coworking Studio.
- A consultation with Thieme and Adair CPAs. Every startup needs help figuring out the financial side of the business. Thieme and Adair is donating 2 hours of time to getting you up to speed on the financial side of your startup.
- An entity formation package from Gutwein Law that includes counsel and prepared documents / required state filings to form your company.
- Membership to Greater Lafayette Commerce.
- Access to web building tool Creative TIM (https://www.creative-tim.com)
The top team will also receive these prizes in addition to those above:
- Consultation time with local venture capital firm Little Engine Ventures
- Software coding and design consultation with DelMar Software Development
- QuickBooks Company File Setup Consultation by CommonSense QuickBooks.
- Three hours of design work and consultation time with Bird Teeth
- Business Card printing from Instant Copy
We are so excited for our winning #GLSW2017 teams! Thanks to our sponsors for donating their time and expertise to helping these promising ventures take their business from #imaginary to #innovationIRL.
And here’s where you can buy your ticket: glsw2017.eventbrite.com
See you at #GLSW2017!
The answer is: Yes. You have to pick a ticket type. There are 3 ticket types that help us make sure our event has a lot different of individuals! We need hackers, hipsters, hustlers, and all kinds in between. It takes diversity to make something of value, and one way we try to inject our Startup Weekend with some is to show that we are actively looking for different skills across the board. If you buy one ticket type, and end up fulfilling a role that doesn’t coincide, it’s no big deal! You do you!
Here’s a breakdown of the ticket types.
This ticket type applies to software engineers/coders/developers – in short, anybody who can and will write code. It also applies to Engineers and others with a technical background. If you’re into software, hardware, or have expertise in a technical or mechanical trade, this ticket is for you! You’re our hackers, and we need you.
This ticket type applies to anybody with a background in design (graphics, UX/UI, etc.) Design isn’t limited to the graphic kind. Join us as a Designer if you are experienced in any kind of design out there, including Industrial Design and Fashion Design! You’re our hipsters, and we need you.
This ticket type applies to business, marketing & PR, and anyone with a non-technical background. Whether you’re a startup enthusiast, someone with a brain built for business, or have skills in an area that doesn’t fit nicely in the other categories, this is your ticket. You’re our hustlers, and we need you.
No matter what your skill set, you’ll fit right in at Startup Weekend. Here’s where you can get your ticket!
See you at #GLSW2017 in September!
Greater Lafayette Startup Weekend —– September 15th, 2017
This is it. One weekend and your idea can be transformed from #Imaginary to #InnovationIRL.
Through the course of one weekend in September, you’ll get to know a lot of creative, highly motivated and resourceful individuals…people like you who want to make their vision for a new thing real. That thing could be an app, a piece of hardware that will flourish in the Internet of Things, it might be a revolutionary service you’re developing into a business. Whatever it is, it’s something the world hasn’t seen before!
You’ll pitch your idea to a crowd, and they’ll decide if they want to throw in and make your idea a reality with you. Once you have a team together, you’ll get to work on breathing life into your project — taking it from vision to startup. With the help of coaches and mentors, folks in our community with entrepreneurial experience in a wide variety of areas from intellectual property law to web and app development. There’s a lot to be learned from these coaches and mentors, and they are showing up all weekend long to help you! Here’s a video recap of last year’s event.
On Sunday, you’re team will pitch to a panel of judges. You’ll have 5 minutes to convince the judges that your startup is the most viable. If you do, you’ll receive prizes to carry your startup even further! We’ve selected some services and products to help you keep going. In fact, we’re proud to report that winning startups from every GLSW we’ve hosted have continued beyond the weekend!
And after that? Well, it’s up to you. Where will you go next? Startup weekend will give you a great foundation for deciding what your next steps should be.
Questions about how this works? You’re not alone! We get lots of questions about how startup weekend works and what you can get from participating. We’ll be answering as many of those questions as possible in the weeks to come, right here on this website, and on our social media! Reach out if you have any questions, or want to know more!
See you at #GLSW2017!
Buy tickets here: http://glsw2017.eventbrite.com/
Reach out on Facebook: www.facebook.com/startuplaf/
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/startuplala
Make your move. Sign up for Startup Weekend Evansville! Stop sitting around and start making things happen. Here are ten reasons why it is worth your while to spend the weekend with us, here at Startup Weekend Evansville.
- It’s all about connections: Entrepreneurs. Developers. Designers. Marketers. Product managers. Startup enthusiasts. Tech guys. Ideators. They’ll be there, and they want to meet you. Startup Weekend is more than just a place to give your idea wings—it’s a place to plug into a community of talent. Startup Weekend attracts the best makers and doers . By spending 54 hours working to build scalable companies that solve real world problems, you will build long lasting relationships and possibly walk away with a job or even an investor.
- Actually launch a Startup Company: Think, conceive and deliver a product/service over a weekend. It’s just the energy in the Startup Weekend environment that makes you super-productive. Make your dreams a reality. It is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology. According to the data collected by official organizers, roughly 80% of participants plan on continuing working with their team or startup after the weekend.
- Get face time with thought leaders: Get one-on–one time with the movers and shakers in your community. Local educators, tech, entrepreneurs, and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends as mentors and judges. Our judging panel and mentor board is made of CEOs, COOs, Developers, Angels, Directors, Entrepreneurs, and others. Get some time with the startup leaders in the community, explore your opportunities and learn the game from the best players.
- Join a global community: Startup Weekend alumni span across several continents and scores of cities. Join a global network of over 275,000 alumni, all having the haunting entrepreneurial mindset. Step outside of your comfort zone, because Startup Weekends are your perfect opportunity to explore yourself.
- Co-founder dating: Startups are about more than just an idea -it’s about the team behind it. Startup Weekend is the best way to find someone that you can actually launch a startup with. The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend. If you have a prospective co-founder, bring ‘em to the event and give the working relationship a test drive. It might save you years of heartache.
- As we live, so we learn: Startup Weekends are all about learning through the art of creating. You do not need to stay in ages-long and boring lecture sessions or to read dozens of outdated theories. Build your own strategy and test it as you go. With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try.
- Get access to Startup Resources and Save Money: By participating in Startup Weekend you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed! Moreover, Startup Weekends are affordable. Your ticket includes all meals, snacks and access to an awesome set of mentors. Join us for the Startup Weekend that is fully loaded with facilities and chase your dreams to reality in a 54 hour long frenzy.
- Less talk, more action: Startup Weekend is fast. The weekend is not some long, drawn-out business plan that will bore your team to sleep. This is fast paced, get ideas on the table, get them in production, see if they stick, and move on to the next task. Find out what you excel at in 54 hours. Spend the weekend perfecting your networking, pitching, brainstorming ideas and experience energy like never before.
- Solve local problems with your ideas: Do you think that one of your ideas can change your town or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community.
- Have tons of fun: So register now and book your ticket to ensure an awesome weekend at Startup Weekend Evansville.
March 31 – April 2, 2017, in Marion IN, therefinerycenter.com will host Startup Weekend, a worldwide group of events to bring people together to make ideas become reality and start business up.
Have you ever thought, “That would be a good business idea.” Have you ever wanted to start a company and work with other people to do something new? Do you want to see and experience what it looks like to go from Idea to Business? If so, Startup Weekend is for you.