Startup Weekend Zurich – December 5th, 2014
Do some research into startup tools and best practices to get ready to rock the weekend – start with our database of resources at startupweekend.org/resources. Make sure you get lots of rest prior to the event, and finally – tell your friends & join the Startup Weekend Zurich Facebook page. If you plan on pitching an idea:
- Do as much research/preparation around your idea as you feel is necessary to give a persuasive pitch and attract a team.
- Boil the idea down to the basics: with 60 seconds, you only really have time for a hook, so pull out the most attractive key points of the idea and forget the rest.
- Join the Dec 1st pre-event (registration needed) to learn all the secrets of an efficient pitch and… practice, practice and practice again your pitch using a timer
Attached a short video giving a flavour of the Startup weekend experience
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url
Poll any entrepreneur – new, old, successful, flailing, product-focused, service-focused, solo or with a team – and they will all say the same thing:
“What I thought, was definitely not what I got”, each one would scream in unison.
We’ve rounded up some of the commonest misconceptions and surprises about entrepreneurship for you below. The list may help you be better prepared for the journey.
What entrepreneurs thought, before launching their ventures:
- “Money will start pouring in.” -Guess what, it only actually trickles!
- “Customers would be clamoring for my product and I have to be prepared because my servers may crash.” -This is actually a great problem to have – alas it never happened.
- “I can handle it alone.” -The reality is that no one can.
- “I am in control.” -Nope, you’ll have to deal with the unforeseen everyday.
- “Job satisfation is a given since I’ll be working on what I want.” -It’s not a guarantee.
- “I’ll be an overnight success” -The definition of overnight can be 3,4,5 or more years!
- “I’ll use all my knowledge from my Big company and MBA.” -My previous learnings weren’t really applicable.
- “I’ll just get online and do some social media outreach to grow my company.” -Digital marketing is a science and an art, not just a few posts slapped together.
- “Cheap labor is great for my small budget.” -You get what you pay for.
- “I’ll be ready to deliver in a week.” -It’s always at least 3x longer than anticipated.
- “I’m launching my own business to be happy, not for money.” -Try being happy when your business isn’t sustainable.
Did we miss any in the list? Let us know “what you thought, and what you got” in the comments below!
This post and comic were originally created for #entrepreneurfail: Startup Success.