Hey designers, developers and women in technology: We’ve got spots for RVA Startup Weekend that are waiting to be filled by you! Every team needs a great designer and a strong developer to help take a great idea and turn it into an awesome start-up. If you were on the fence about coming to this year’s Startup Weekend here’s your incentive to come!
If you are a designer or developer who wants to participate, click here to receive 50% off your ticket.
We support women in technology and want to encourage female tech founders to participate in Startup Weekend so we’re giving away extra discounts for female attendees. If you are a lady looking to participate this year, click here for 75% off your ticket.
What does your ticket to Startup Weekend get you? Three days of networking, learning and team mentoring, Three days of amazing local meals, three days of local craft beer, and lots of fun activities (including yoga). Startup Weekend is an incredible experience. Don’t miss out.
We are thrilled to announce another ‘Circle’ for Global Startup Battle: E-Commerce! More Circles means more ways to win and Bigcommerce is giving away some prizes you don’t want to miss.
Bigcommerce, the fast growing e-commerce platform for businesses of all sizes, will lead the judging for the E-Commerce Circle competition, singling out the most innovative, smart, enthusiastic and promising team for a month-long e-commerce immersion experience at Bigcommerce.
The experience includes:
- Trip to Austin, TX for an immersive e-commerce experience at the Bigcommerce offices. Flight and lodging included!
- Tickets to SXSW Interactive
- A personal e-commerce coach
- Collaborative office space
- Your own online store with built-in marketing tools
- An opportunity to meet face-to-face with execs from Bigcommerce to discuss and refine your business growth strategy
Bigcommerce will cover travel and event expenses so the winner can hunker down to make their online startup a success with mentorship from the experts who work with online businesses every day.
“Global Startup Battle provides a great opportunity for entrepreneurs to connect with and learn form each other, proving new ideas and opportunities to build their business in this fast-paced market,” said Steve Case, Chairman and CEO, Revolution and Chairman of UP Global. “As access to the $250 billion global, online marketplace for retailers and merchants, is increasingly democratized, e-commerce provides a compelling opportunity for young startups to go toe-to-toe with giants in their space.”
So how can you get involved?
A Circle is a themed startup competition within Global Startup Battle. Teams will submit video pitches, get crowd votes, and winners will eventually be named by a panel of industry expert judges. The first step to entering the E-Commerce Circle is to find a Startup Weekend taking place during Global Startup Battle. There are two weekends available to choose from: November 15th and November 22nd. At the beginning of the event, participants will pitch their ideas and teams will form around the most popular ones. The teams then have 54 hours to build a company around the idea. On Sunday evening, teams will present to a local panel of judges and event winners will be named. From there, all teams will have 24 hours to submit a video entry describing their company to the GSB Circles of their choice.
To register to attend a Startup Weekend event in a city near you, please visit http://globalstartupbattle.co/. If you’re located in Bigcommerce’s neck of the woods, you can find details regarding the Austin, Texas and Sydney, Australia startup weekends at the following links http://austin.startupweekend.org/ or http://sydney.startupweekend.org/.
A few weeks ago, we announced the 2013 edition of Global Startup Battle and we promised there would more amazing ways to win than ever before. We’re calling these ‘Circles’ (themed battles within GSB), and today we’re thrilled to introduce another.
Please welcome the Activate Circle powered by Amazon Web Services to Global Startup Battle!
Every team that uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) during the Global Startup Battle will be eligible to compete for the Activate Circle prizes. They are pretty sweet, and we definitely recommend finding a creative way to use a range of AWS products and services as part of your team over the weekend. (Qualifying list below in ‘Judging Criteria’)
- $15,000 USD in credit from AWS for Paid Services (other than Amazon FPS, reserved instances or support services) to be used within 2 years from the date of award; and
- 5 Dedicated Tweets from @AWSStartupsInclusion in one blog post on the AWS Blog (aws.typepad.com)
- An AWS Swag Pack, consisting of an AWS T-Shirt, Stickers, Coffee Mug and Kindle Paperwhite
- $10,000 USD in credit from AWS for Paid Services (other than Amazon FPS or reserved instances or support services) to be used within 2 years from the date of award; and2 Dedicated Tweets from @AWSStartups
- An AWS Swag Pack, consisting of an AWS T-Shirt, Stickers, & Coffee Mug
- Inclusion in one blog post on the AWS Blog (aws.typepad.com)
- $5,000 USD in credit from AWS for Paid Services (other than Amazon FPS or reserved instances or support services) to be used within 2 years from the date of award; and
- 1 Dedicated Tweet from @AWSStartupsInclusion in one blog post on the AWS Blog (aws.typepad.com)
- An AWS Swag Pack, consisting of an AWS T-Shirt, Stickers, & Coffee Mug
Amazon Web Services is a proud Global Technology Sponsor of Startup Weekend. They provide startups with the tools needed to get up and running quickly at a low cost, allowing you to fail quickly and experiment often.
Prepare to win the Activate Circle from AWS by following the judging criteria below. As we get closer to November, every Circle will have a page at globalstartupbattle.co with all the details, official rules, and instructions on how to enter.
The Amazon Judging Panel will judge the qualified Entries using the following judging criteria:
- Implementation and integration of AWS Paid Services: Amazon Glacier, Amazon CloudFront, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon Elastic MapReduce, Amazon Flexible Payments Service (FPS), Amazon Mechanical Turk, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Redshift, Amazon OpsWorks (collectively, the “Paid Services”)
- Originality and creativity
- Likelihood of long-term success and scalability
- Effectiveness in addressing a need in the marketplace.
- We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to select fewer than 3 Prize Winners if we do not receive a minimum of 6 eligible and qualified Entries from such category.
Missed the announcement on the Champion’s Circle powered by Google for Entrepreneurs?
What is a ‘Circle’?
A Circle is a themed battle within Global Startup Battle. Based on different ways to qualify, GSB startup teams can enter one or more of the Circles our GSB partners are hosting. Every Circle has it’s own prizes, eligibility requirements, and judging criteria. This means more ways to win and more prizes than in previous years. It also means ALL teams will qualify for one or more of the themed Circle battle, even those not winning on the local level. With Circles, every single Startup Weekend team formed at every event during GSB will have a chance at startup glory! Stay tuned as we reveal all the Circles and how you can qualify for each.