A few weeks ago, we interviewed serial entrepreneur Jorrit Baerends about his passion for building new businesses and why he’s startup mentor at Startup Weekend Zwolle.
As part of our series “Humans of Startup“, we also interviewed Yillmaz Schoen, CEO of TradeCast in Zwolle.
We talked about how you can be a successful entrepreneur and why he can’t wait to meet new people during Startup Weekend Zwolle:
How did you start?
Yillmaz: “I’ve always had a lot of ideas in my head: I saw things in the broadcasting and publishing industry and thought I could do it better. All those thoughts I’ve combined into one product that would genuinely intrigue people. That’s how I came up with the idea of Tradecast TV. My startup in developing cloud technology that enables people to start their own tv network, both traditional and on-demand.
Right now, we’re quite successful, but we’re striving to grow even bigger! We are a little bit stubborn and we held tight to our initial plan. Off course moving with the flow of the market, but staying close to our fundamental concept created the success. We want to change the traditional industry all from this tiny town Zwolle.”
‘Don’t think too small’
Yillmaz continues: “When it comes to meeting people, I’d love to meet people who have big ambitions. During Startup Weekend I really hope to meet a few! I like to share my knowledge with them and see if I can help them build their startup to a success. Entrepreneurship is a matter of doing: it’s a bit of a gamble, but there’s always a new experience waiting. Don’t think too small – think big! But also think scalable and consider your market potential wisely. That’s how you make it.”
At November 10th, Startup Weekend is coming to Zwolle. This is quite special, for a number of reasons. First of all, it’s the very first edition in our city. Second, this year is the 10th anniversary of Startup Weekend. And third, our facilitator Jen Riedel is from the USA!
Startup Weekend facilitators have an important role. Basicly they manage and lead local events, so attendees have a great learning experience. However, facilitators do a lot more behind the scenes!
What about our facilitator Jen Riedel?
We decided to ask her some questions to get to know her a little better:
#1 What should we know about you?
I absolutely love working with brand new teams at the early ideation stages. In the last 5 years, I’ve worked with numerous early-stage companies to help them with conceptualizing and actualizing their business. More generally, I have experience working with Fortune 500 companies, co-working spaces, building communities from the ground up, taking a four person startup team through an acquisition, and working in design consulting. You should also know that I love using design thinking frameworks, I’m trained in leading rapid prototyping workshops, and I drink more coffee than anyone I know.
#2 What brings you to Startup Weekend Zwolle?
Truthfully, one of my incredible colleagues at Techstars spoke so highly of the Zwolle organizing team, I couldn’t resist the invitation! Secondly, I’ve never had the opportunity to facilitate in Europe and I’m thrilled to learn how you approach innovation. I am also keen to share the knowledge I’ve picked up in my 17+ Startup Weekend experiences in the US and Canada.
#3 A lot of people think about attending Startup Weekend Zwolle. Why should they join this event?
This event will no doubt transform your life. There are various and wondrous ways this can happen. A few I can think of off the top of my head are anything from finally getting over your fear of pitching your idea to a room full of people to possibly altering your career path in order to start a company with people you meet during this program. You might meet a new friend, a lifelong mentor, validate your idea, find a new job, and I guarantee you will walk away with an experience like no other.
#4 What do you like to say to the people in Zwolle Area?
If this has sparked your curiosity even slightly, come on out! This event is for you no matter what background, age, or experience level you may have. That is the beauty of Startup Weekend after all.
Interested to attend Startup Weekend Zwolle? Click here to claim your ticket.
You might have heard about Startup Weekend already. Or you would like to attend one, but you’re not sure if Zwolle is the place to go.
So you probably think: why ON EARTH should I attend Startup Weekend in Zwolle?
Well, we’ve been thinking about this too 🙂 That’s why we’re pleased to share 20 great reasons to attend Startup Weekend Zwolle 2017:
- Meet the right people: Organizers, mentors and participants at Startup Weekends are people willing to give up an entire weekend to aim for a higher purpose, sharing their ideas & know-how and collaborate with others. This is just great if you’re looking for people who can help you building a new business.
- Education on the go: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go. These are 21st skills, baby!
- Join a global community: If you attend Startup Weekend Zwolle, you will automatically join the global Startup Weekend community. You can hardly imagine how incredible valuable this will be: you’ll be able to connect with community leaders and subject matter experts all over the world. Basicly you will feel as joining an new startup family with people willing to “give first”.
- Access to great resources: By participating in Startup Weekend Zwolle you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
- Great mentors: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
- Be the first: This year, Startup Weekend celebrates its 10th year anniversary. Many cities have held a Startup Weekend already – but this year is the very first edition of Startup Weekend Zwolle. So, this might sound a little weird, you’ll have bragging rights if join us 🙂
- Kick your own ass: Are you thinking about your idea for a very long time? Startup Weekend gives you a real kick up the ass. You’ll leave Startup Weekend Zwolle buzzing with creative energy. In fact, on average 80% of attendees wants to continue with their startups after the weekend. So after 2 days you realise you can really achieve a lot if you just put your mind to it.
- Validate your ideas: A startup Weekend offers your various levels of validation. First up it is the attendees as a whole that choose which ideas make it through to the “finals”, so right off the bat you are getting a good poll of smart people as to whether your idea is any good or not! At Startup Weekend Cologne for example, about 30 ideas have been pitched and 12 are selected to be worked on, so right away you know whether your idea resonates with people. If your idea does make it through, then you will be pitching on the Sunday to a panel of judges, typically the judges award 1st 2nd and 3rd placings, so if you were to finish in the top 3 you’d really know you were on to something!
- Meet your co-founder: Most people who attend a Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. So you can create relationships that last long past the weekend – and you might meet your co-founder here.
- Have fun: During the weekend working alongside awesome people who share your ideas. Startup Weekend is meant to be fun and entertaining so enjoy it.
- Solve local problems: Do you think that one of your idea can change Zwolle or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community. Besides this, most local challenges also apply to other places, so keep in mind you can scale up as well.
- Recruit new people: Startup Weekend usually attracts highly educated (young) professionals, great designers, IT specialists such as developers and people with entrepreneurial minds. So if you’re eager to get in touch with them, Startup Weekend is the place to be.
- Learn new skills: Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give guerrilla marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
- Learn how to launch a business: Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology. In just 2 days, you’ll learn the essentials about launching a new business.
- Try a new cider: Perhaps you already know that Startup Weekend Zwolle is sponsored by Heineken. But I guess you don’t know you can try their new cider as well.
- Save a lot of money: Startup Weekends are very, very affordable (about € 85 for a regular ticket). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink. Compare this to any typical business event and you know what I’m talking about. Startup Weekend gives you a lot more value for your money!
- Enjoy gadgets & tech stuff: At Startup Weekend Cologne, I met a Dutch entrepreneur wearing a new pair of Spectacles. So you can expect attendees to bring all kind of gadgets and new stuff they use for business – of just for fun. Although this should not be your primairy reason to attend a Startup Week, it’s pretty cool, especially if you like new stuff.
- Prizes: Winners of Startup Weekend Zwolle will get great prices. We understand you’re curious about it, but we can assure these prices will help the winning team to take their ideas to the NEXT LEVEL!
- Great facilitator: At Startup Weekend Cologne, some greek guy called Stavros Messinis was facilitating the event. And he did an amazing job, so we asked him to join in Zwolle. And we’re very happy to share he will be our facilitator.
- The city: Of course, there’s no way to compare Zwolle to New York, London, Paris, Amsterdam or even Cologne 🙂 Nonetheless, our city has a lot to offer: nice working places, excellent public transport, great sporting facilities, plenty educationial possibilities, social initiatives, great events all year long, a beautiful city centre, an healthy environment and nice people. The region of Zwolle also performs at the top-3 economic regions in the Netherlands.
So, what are you waiting for?
Got any questions? Please contact us at email@example.com or text us at Whatsapp: +31 6 83 86 96 22.
By the way: do you like this post? Feel free to share!
Finding a great location is one of the most important things you want to do when organizing a Startup Weekend. And we have succeeded to do just that! The 1st Edition of Startup Weekend Zwolle will be organized at Hanz, an inspiring place where innovation and connection go hand in hand.
The Hanz’ building is located in ‘Hanzeland’. Its location is almost perfect because of the nearby train station and connection to the highway. Besides that, the facilities are also pretty great.
However, these are certainly not the only things we took into consideration. We are also delighted by the mission and vision of Thijs van Dieren and Johan Neerhof, the men behind the realization and success of Hanz.
Putting their ideas into action, Thijs and Johan wanted to create the perfect playground for innovation: an inspiring place where entrepreneurs, government and education would meet eachother and connect with their environment. As you can imagine, this matches pretty well with Startup Weekend.
We’re thankfull and very proud of Hanz to be our very first sponsor. And we’re convinced that it will be the right place of organizing the 1st edition of Startup Weekend Zwolle!