In 2018, Techstars and Community Leaders have already run over 900 Techstars Startup Weekends in cities around the globe—and the year’s not over yet. Over 200 more events will take place during the month of November. Techstars Global Startup Weekend kicked off earlier this month and continues for one more weekend: November 16-18.
During these weekends, around 15,000 entrepreneurs worldwide challenge themselves to build a company in just 54 hours. It’s a truly awesome undertaking, and a massive thrill for everyone involved.
We asked some of our Techstars Community Team; (the people who make Techstars Startup Weekend happen) for their best advice on how to get the most out of the experience. Here’s what they said:
Be an open and active participant! Startup Weekend is an experience – so don’t sit on the sidelines during the weekend. Pitch an idea, learn a new skill, talk to as many people as possible, and step out of your comfort zone. It’ll be the best thing you do that weekend!
– Lalitha Wemel, Regional Manager Asia Pacific
Be present. Be respectful. Ask for help. Take charge of your own learning. It’s okay to make mistakes, and learn from it. Surrender yourself to immerse into one of it’s kind of entrepreneurial experience in a safe, secure, risk-free, diverse and inclusive environment.
– Anurag Maloo, Regional Manager South & Central Asia
Test the market and fail hard; over and over again if needs be. And finally, be coachable, always be coachable!
– Emily Skinstad, Operations Manager, Techstars Startup Programs
You get out what you put in. Clear your calendar, remove expectations, and immerse in the process!
– Jordan Rothenberg, Regional Manager Western U.S. & Canada
Stop pitching your idea to mentors, use their expertise and let them push where it hurts.
– Margaux Joly, Customer Experience Coordinator
Techstars Startup Weekend is a box of entrepreneurship magic. The way you use this magic box is by talking to everyone. You’ll never find the same mix of mentors, judges, organizers and attendees in any other room so unlock the magic by talking to everyone and getting to know as many people you possibly can.
– Luis Rodriguez, Product Manager, Community @ Techstars
It’s crucial that you and your team don’t waste time on minor decisions like the startup name, logo, colors etc. Time management is one of the keys to succeeding at Techstars Startup Weekend. If it’s taking too long to make a decision, do a roman vote and move forward to the next item on your list. You will have plenty of time after the weekend to polish it.
– Jose Iglesias, EMEA Director – Startup Programs
15,000 entrepreneurs at 200+ locations around the globe believe they can build a startup in a weekend. Come to Techstars Global Startup Weekend, November 16-18, 2018. Challenge yourself. Join us.
This November we’re celebrating entrepreneurs and startup communities around the world with Techstars Global Startup Weekend! This global showcase of entrepreneurship will feature hundreds of Techstars Startup Weekend events around the world, from Bali to Anchorage.
A global showcase wouldn’t be complete without some prizes to help the winning teams move forward with their new startups. At Techstars we praise our worldwide network as the #1 tool to help you succeed after an event. In addition to the network support, here are the other prizes for this year’s Techstars Global Startup Weekend winners:
- Conference Tickets (by region) (5–8 tickets)
- Techstars Job Portal Profile Feature
- Regional winners will be highlighted on our Job Portal website, for a lifetime! Companies will be able to see this highlight & badge of excellence when looking at candidate profiles.
- Techstars Water Bottles & Techstars T-Shirts
- Google for Startups Cloud Credits
- $3k in Google Cloud credits!
- WeWork Hot desk for six months
- Access to any open seat in the common area! Just show up, set up shop, and get to work.
- Google For Startups Cloud Credits
- $100k in Google Cloud credits!
- ClassPass membership
- Get an all-access membership to a global network of 10,000 fitness studios, or try their at-home workout videos! Relax after TGSW and try strength training, cycling, and more. Prize covers four $100 gift cards towards memberships.
- Rocketbook Everlast
- The Everlast notebook provides a classic pen and paper experience, yet is reusable and connected to the cloud. Add a drop of water and the notebook erases like magic. Prize covers four notebooks for your team.
Want to win these prizes to help launch your startup? Are you ready to be part of the biggest entrepreneurial celebration around the world? Find a Techstars Startup Weekend near you!