This November, do something amazing. Join 15,000 entrepreneurs around the world in building a startup in a weekend—plus, winning teams will receive exclusive prizes and perks, and the chance for a showcase in our Techstars Stories!
We’re calling entrepreneurs around the world to build a startup in a weekend on November 2-4, 9-11, and 16-18, 2018.
In just 54 hours, you’ll experience the highs, lows, and fun of building a company—all while working in an environment that helps you learn and succeed. This is a global movement of entrepreneurs from around the world, and TGSW connects you locally with the very best mentors, co-founders, and sponsors, all of whom are ready to help you get started. If you’re curious about how it all works, get an inside look (plus some tips on for success) from a company that started at Startup Weekend that is now worth over $900 million – check out Rover.com’s Techstars Startup Weekend story!
“Without Techstars Startup Weekend, there would be no Rover.com,” says founder Greg Gottesman.
What makes TGSW so special? Exclusive access to resources designed just for you, plus a global community ready to help you succeed. Local Community Leaders, your team members, and expert mentors will all be on hand to help you navigate the weekend and your new company. Here’s how it all works:
Stay tuned as we showcase our community, alumni, and TGSW entrepreneurs from around the world leading up to the big weekends!
Feeling inspired? Check out last year’s TGSW winner, LeaseCake!
Are you ready to be part of the biggest entrepreneurial celebration in the world? Find a Techstars Startup Weekend near you! We can’t wait to see what you create!
Don’t see your city and want to get in on the fun? Apply to organize as part of TGSW!
We want to send a big thank you to everyone who participated and was part of Techstars Global Startup Weekend 2017! With more than 12,000 attendees in over 58 countries, we got to startup, get some mentorship, meet new friends and have lots of fun.
Out of the 175 local winners, we received 113 team applications to our showcase competition and the wait is finally over– after a couple of weeks of deliberation between our amazing global judges, we have a winner for our Techstars Global Startup Weekend Showcase:
LeaseCake, a SaaS platform that provides small to medium sized property owners and managers the ability to scale their operations, while efficiently managing all of their tenants.
The platform is a centralized solution allowing owners to electronically store leases, collect payments, and communicate proactively with tenants, making the entire leasing experience affordable, paperless, and scalable.
A global showcase couldn’t be complete without some prizes to help the winning teams move forward with their startup.
The LeaseCake Team will receive the following prizes:
- $100K in GCP Credits from Google Cloud Platform: Google Cloud Platform lets you build and host applications and websites, store data, and analyze data on Google’s scalable infrastructure.
- A Star Wars robot from Sphero: Sphero began the connected play revolution in 2010 by creating something unlike anything – and they never stopped. Optimized by data and powered by fun, their ever-evolving robots are changing the way the world thinks about play.
- $10K in AWS credits from Amazon Web Services: The global winner also gets 1:1 sessions with the AWS Startup team. AWS Startup Solution Architects advise top funded CTOs around the world, helping them build technologies that scale in order to become the next Airbnb, Netflix, Slack, etc.
- Swag Packet from .CO
Com mais de 12.000 participantes, o Techstars Global Startup Weekend deste ano foi incrível, graças a todas as pessoas que fizeram o esforço para fazer os eventos acontecerem. Em 58 países, em cada fuso horário, líderes da comunidades, mentores, jurados e participantes vieram ao Techstars Startup Weekend para criar startups incríveis, compor novas idéias e experimentar o que é criar uma startup em um fim de semana.
Nós crescemos com um painel de jurados impressionante, de todos os cantos do mundo, através de uma transmissão ao vivo de conteúdo no Instagram usando o # TGSW2017, e prêmios para ajudar a levar as idéias num próximo nível.
As cidades que realizaram o Techstars Global Startup Weekend:
- Fortaleza (Travel Tech): Na sua terceira edição do ano, a cidade que alcançou as marcas de segundo destino mais desejado do Brasil e quarta cidade brasileira que mais recebe turistas de acordo com o Ministério do Turismo realizou a edição que estimulou o desenvolvimento de ideias para o Turismo.
- São Luis (Youth): Na sua segunda edição do ano, a cidade que tinha feito uma versão para Universitários em agosto, conseguiu impactar jovens de 13 a 19 anos, garantindo a inclusão e diversidade no meio empreendedor, além de ensinar jovens as ferramentas e metodologia essencial para empreender, antes mesmo de escolher suas carreiras profissionais.
- Belo Horizonte: Na sua quarta edição em 2017, Belo Horizonte garantiu muita emoção na edição do TGSW2017, a cidade que já levou o título de comunidade mais forte, através do São Pedro Valley, teve fortes emoções com falta de energia elétrica, mas a energia nas equipes organizadores e participantes que teve os pitches iluminando o ambiente através de lanternas do celulares.
- Teófilo Otoni (Smart Cities): Em sua segunda edição no ano, o Vale do Aço Mineiro uniu a comunidade do entorno (Itabira e Governador Valadares) para desenvolver ideias que trouxessem soluções voltadas a sistemas de pessoas interagindo e usando energia, materiais, serviços e financiamento para catalisar o desenvolvimento econômico e a melhoria da qualidade de vida.
- Vitória (Women e Gov): Com três edições no ano, Vitória conseguiu realizar dois eventos temáticos em dois fins de semanas seguidos. A versão Women garantindo a inclusão e diversidade no ambiente empreendedor e a versão Gov, que trabalharam grandes oportunidades para você colaborar com o setor público e lançar ideias que resolvam problemas reais na esfera governamental.
- Rio de Janeiro (Women): A segunda cidade maior metrópole e maior destino destino internacional do país e sexta maior da América Latina, representando o segundo maior PIB do país e sede das duas maiores empresas brasileiras – a Petrobras e a Vale, garantiu diversidade e inclusão pelo terceiro ano consecutivo com a única edição no ano de 2017.
- Brasília (Women): A capital do país, que possui o maior produto interno bruto per capita em relação às capitais, o quarto maior entre as principais cidades da América Latina e cerca de três vezes maior que a renda média brasileira também garantiu a realização do Startup Weekend em 2017 através do estímulo a diversidade e inclusão de gêneros.
- Campo Grande (Agrotech): Na segunda edição do ano, a cidade que surgiu de terras férteis para agropecuária, garantiu mais de 80 participantes criando soluções para agricultura na edição Agrotech.
- São Paulo (Travel Tech): A terceira edição do ano, dentro de quatro que aconteceram na cidade de São Paulo, principal centro financeiro, corporativo e mercantil da América do Sul, possui os aeroportos mais movimentados do país e líder em turismo de negócios, a cidade recebeu pela primeira vez a edição Travel Tech.
- Joinville: A maior e mais populosa cidade do estado de Santa Catarina, no sul do país, e uma região muito reconhecida para o empreendedorismo na América Latina, garantiu a segunda edição no ano, solidificando o empreendedorismo e desenvolvimento da região, que está entre as comunidade mais engajadas, vencendo o prêmio Comunidade SC através do Startup Awards.
- Palhoca (Education): Também em Santa Catarina e que faz parte da região metropolitana de Florianópolis, garantiu a segunda edição no ano, solucionando problemas na área de educação, com a participação de mais de 90 empreendedores.
- Santiago: Pela segunda vez, a cidade conhecida como a “Terra dos poetas”, situada na região central do Rio Grande do Sul, garantiu que mais de 60 empreendedores desenvolvessem soluções localmente, para uma população de quase 50 mil habitantes.
- Porto Alegre: A capital gaúcha também decidiu garantir por sua edição durante o TGSW, a cidade que desde 2012 realiza Startup Weekends, sem interrupções mostrou que o Sul é uma boa região para se empreendedor.
“Eu recebi o desafio de facilitar Startup Weekends nos dois fins de semana que se comemoram a Semana Global de Empreendedorismo, pela primeira vez fora da minha região e consecutivamente. Desde a falta de energia elétrica a emoção de entidades públicas locais, eu me surpreendi com uma verdadeira seleção de organizadores engajados que garantiram o impacto que as pessoas e comunidades mereciam. “, diz Eduardo Mattos.
With more than 12,000 attendees, this year’s Techstars Global Startup Weekend has been incredible thanks to all the people who put in the effort to make the events happen. In 58 countries across every time zone, community leaders, mentors, judges, and participants came to Techstars Startup Weekend to build awesome companies, forge new bonds, and experience what it’s like to create a company in a weekend.
After a week of voting and a regional judging round, we are proud to introduce the Regional Showcase winners from each of our six regions. These six teams are now being evaluated to win the Global Showcase, which will be announced next week.
Please give a round of applause for the following teams:
Asia Pacific: Pegasus
Techstars Startup Weekend Brisbane, Australia
Pegasus is an all in one equine management tool at your fingertips, solving the pain point of a messy and disorganized paper trail that surrounds most stakeholders in the horse industry. It allows you to not only schedule appointments, but book services within the app, as well as storing care instructions, registration information, medical data, tracking of training and competition results, and more! Its unique marketplace community allows you to connect with industry service providers to book, schedule and receive confirmation for all your appointments within the confines of the app.
Techstars Startup Weekend São Paulo Travel, Brazil
IHLÁ is a web app platform that aggregates qualified information about researched destinations to travel to, giving priority to moms that want security, comfort, and cost-savings while planning their family vacation.
It seeks to provide the user a sense of security by offering the best option for them, with a centralized search and collection of crawler-filtered information that will search for 5-star rated destinations by location or price.
Latam: Sweet Life
Techstars Startup Weekend San Rafael, Argentina
SweetLife is a tool that helps diabetic people have control over the carbs they have or will consume, and in the base of that calculate the number of units of insulin that should be applied.
SweetLife is a unique application that uses a scanner to provide all the necessary information, that is then registered inside the app. A third party can follow-up on the diabetic person by downloading the app onto their phone and adding their profile.
Sweet Life team:
Europe: Fire Sense
Techstars Startup Weekend London Smart Cities and Home, UK
Fire Sense is a connected fire safety solution to address human error and the gap in information emergency services receive in response to an alarm. Their mission is to increase effectiveness of emergency services and aid in saving lives. Focusing on councils who own large council buildings as their initial target, as it is these building owners that are most affected by the poor fire emergency management according to their research.
Fire Sense Team:
The Middle East and Africa: SalesBay
Techstars Startup Weekend Abia, Nigeria
SalesBay is a B2B platform that connects manufacturers of Nigerian-made products with the respective market while ensuring trust, quality and an increase in sales.
They go the extra mile by verifying the quality of products to be sold on their platform and ensure trust to businesses acting as an escrow server.
US & Canada: LeaseCake
Techstars Startup Weekend Orlando, USA
LeaseCake, a SaaS platform that provides small to medium-sized property owners and managers the ability to scale their operations while efficiently managing all of their tenants.
The platform is a centralized solution allowing owners to electronically store leases, collect payments, and communicate proactively with tenants making the entire leasing experience affordable, paperless, and scalable.
Congratulations to all the winning teams! Want to participate in a Techstars Startup Weekend? Go to startupweekend.org/events
Santiago de Chile is a city found in South America, in the middle Los Andes, and a busy place for entrepreneurship in Latin America. Chile has the highest rate of Internet users in Latin America and the country ranks 9th in the world for mobile phone use according to the PEW research center.
Last year during the Latin American Techstars Summit, we met a lot of people who help Santiago maintain its position as a hub of innovation and entrepreneurship. One of those leaders is Rocío Fonseca, Director of Startup Chile, a governmental organization created in 2010 to support ideas and entrepreneurs from all over the world.
At the summit, more than 80 Techstars Startup Weekend and Techstars Startup Week community leaders from Latin America came together to meet, share best practices and learn how to grow startup communities. The summit was possible because of Gonzalo Mena, lead organizer of our programs in Santiago. He has helped re-ignite the Techstars community in Chile.
During Techstars Global Startup Weekend 2017, Santiago held its first ever MEGA event including verticals like video games, social innovation, research and a non-themed vertical.
“The idea of doing a MEGA event– 4 themed verticals within a single weekend– was born because we wanted to celebrate the community. After doing a non-themed Techstars Startup Weekend back in April, we wanted to bring attention to topics that have been growing importantly in the city but that do not get much media”, says Gonzalo. The video games and research themes– which are not super popular– were complemented with social innovation and another non-themed vertical.
The participants’ high energy mixed with the facilitators– who knew each other previously– were the perfect match to make the event a success. “More than 150 participants got to live the experience of going from idea to product in those 54 hours, for most of them it was the first event and we saw an amazing change in them between Friday night and Sunday’s final pitch,” according to Gonzalo.
A grand prize of mentorship from the commercial area from the Ministry of External Relations of Chile will help the winning team to get their project ready to launch abroad.
When asked about the upcoming plans for the community in Santiago, Gonzalo says that thanks to the exposure that came with Techstars Startup Weekend MEGA and the participation of high profile Judges, they will start pushing to make more events that support different thematics around tech entrepreneurship in 2018, collaborating with other communities that include Startup Grind, Emprendedores Anónimos, Founderlist and more.
To connect with the Startup Weekend Community in Santiago, you can visit their website or their Facebook Page. To learn more about Techstars Startup Programs or to find an event near you, go to techstars.com/startup-programs
We are honored to support the largest celebration of entrepreneurship in the world, Global Entrepreneurship Week. We will hold over 200 events, in over 60 cities this year over in just two weekends!
As part of the celebration, Techstars Global Startup Weekend comes with a Regional and Global Showcase, with prizes from Google, Amazon, .CO, and more.
Local winners from each event have the opportunity to submit their startup and our regional judges will select the best team regionally. Regional winners go on to the finals where our global judges panel will select the winner. The global winner will get additional exposure and perks, but the other competitors will not be left empty-handed.
The Global Judges
David Cohen is the Founder and co-CEO of Techstars. David has been an entrepreneur and investor for his entire life. He has only had one job interview in his career, successfully got that job but then quit shortly thereafter to start his first company. Since then, he has founded several companies and has invested in hundreds of startups such as Uber, Twilio, SendGrid, FullContact, and Sphero. In total, these investments have gone on to create more than $80B in value.
David is the co-author (with Brad Feld) of Do More Faster; Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup.
Mary Grove is the Director of Google for Entrepreneurs, leading Google’s efforts to support startups and entrepreneurs in more than 100 countries around the world. Mary is passionate about building community and has worked with groups of entrepreneurs in Pakistan, Iraq, Gaza, and Afghanistan, and previously led numerous international partnerships for Google.
Mary earned her BA and MA from Stanford University. She is the co-founder of Silicon North Stars, a nonprofit that connects youth from the Midwest to Silicon Valley. She has served on the Board of UP Global, the Techstars Foundation and the Stanford Alumni Association.
Debbie Levi is part of the Venture Capital Business Development team at AWS managing relationships with top tier VCs and their portfolio companies on behalf of AWS and broader Amazon. Prior to joining the team in 2016 she was part of the Israeli VC community for about 5 years (most recently at Viola Ventures (FKA Carmel Ventures) and JAL Ventures).
Before becoming a VC Debbie managed marketing teams at a series of start-ups (Mytopia, mySupermarket and Kasamba (acquired by LivePerson) and spent time in corporate America (News America Marketing, a division of News Corp). Debbie holds a MBA from Bar Ilan University and a BA in Psychology and Communications from the University of Michigan. Debbie is a NYC native and an alumna of Stuyvesant High School.
Fadi Ghandour is the Executive Chairman of Wamda Group, an organization consisting of a Venture Capital fund that invests in technology-enabled companies in the Arab world. He is also the Founder and a Board Member of Aramex, a global logistics and transportation provider.
Fadi is a member of the Board of Abraaj Capital, the Board of Endeavor Global and the Board of Trustees at the American University of Beirut (AUB). Additionally, he serves on the Advisory Council of the MIT Media Lab. He is also the Founder and Chairman of Ruwwad for Development, an initiative that helps disadvantaged communities across the region overcome marginalization through activism, civic engagement, education and financial inclusion.
Rocio is the Executive Director at Start-Up Chile, one of the biggest and most diverse startup communities in the world. She has a MS in Management at MIT, is a Master in innovation and entrepreneurship and Biotech Engineer. Her passion is to help people to transform their ideas into business.
Check out more about our regional judges on global.startupweeend.org/judges
With still one weekend left in Techstars Global Startup Weekend, you have the opportunity to participate and be part of the celebration!