Whenever I go to conferences (I’ve attended 20+ in the last 3 years), I can almost always expect to meet at least one person that I’ll stay in close touch with for a while. In 2013 at Big Omaha, Greg Tehven was that person. Shane Reiser, a mutual friend, made the introduction, and since that spring, Greg and I have crossed paths several times (at conferences and elsewhere) which has harnessed our relationship.
For the short time I’ve known Greg (just under a year), I continue to learn more and more about him. Today, as we introduce him as our community leader of the week, I’ll share what he’s done in his local community, and how he’s continued to empower the creatives and entrepreneurs of Fargo.
- Brought the first Startup Weekend to Fargo, and has organized two of the three Startup Weekends held in Fargo.
- He assisted in launching 1 Million Cups in Fargo this past January. They’re approaching their 8th event.
- Co-founded Emerging Prairie
- In the process of bringing the first co-working space to Fargo
- Also in the works of opening a “Startup House” in Fargo’s Cathedral District
Accomplishments aside, the primary reason Greg is our Community Leader of the week is because of his ability to lead by example mentality, and empowering others to become leaders as well. Since the first Startup Weekend held in Fargo, several other community focused initiatives have sprouted, all having different leaders.
We love what the Fargo community is doing, and feel privileged to be able to tag along for the ride. Onwards, friends!