Blockchain is a great resource for checking out Bitcoin activity and it also turns out, they have fantastic wallet solutions for a wide variety of platforms. Today, we’ll walk you through the setup of a Blockchain web-based wallet and connecting this wallet to your Android device. Note, the process for iOS is quite similar.
Creating a new web wallet
- Head over to Blockchain and enter an email/password combination for your wallet. Note, password strength is high — you’ll need 10 characters minimum.
- After doing so, a window will pop up with your wallet recover mnemonic. I highly recommend you PRINT THIS and keep it safe. You don’t want to lose this information. Press Continue when you’re done.
- Don’t forget to check your email and click on the verification link to confirm your email address.
- You’ll be prompted to log in at the next step, so please do so. If you can’t use the login form, try the login link in the email you received.
Once you’re logged in, that’s it! You’re ready to use Bitcoin. It should look something like this:
Connect your Mobile Device to this wallet
- For starters, download the Android or iOS wallet for your mobile device.
- From the app, click on “Connect Existing Wallet” then click on “Scan Pairing Code”
- Log into your web wallet and click on the Account Settings button (see above).
- Once you’ve logged in, click on Devices, then Show/Hide Pairing Code
- Scan the pairing code from your phone (you might need to re-enter your password).
- As a final step, you’ll need to create a 4-digit PIN for using the mobile app. After this, you’re done!
Guide written and prepared by Gregg Peacock
Gregg first attended Startup Weekend in 2011 and has been active in the Vancouver startup community ever since. By day, Gregg works in product strategy at TELUS and spends his free time writing code, cycling and travelling.