We hope today’s big news has you as excited as we are. We believe that Techstars and UP Global are stronger together, and that, with your continued help, we will all provide better support for entrepreneurial communities and help grow the worldwide entrepreneurial ecosystem.
As the people who make everything work, we want to make sure you have all the information you may be looking for.
Here are the top resources for you as we continue our mission together:
Join the Facebook Groups! If you’re not already a part, join the conversation:
AMA Series – Join us for live question and answer sessions!
Highlights of changes for Community Leaders:
- Like many of our international entities, the US headquarters will become a for-profit entity (as it becomes part of the Techstars organization.) For most of the world, this won’t change anything, but if you’ve been raising sponsorship under the nonprofit banner, we’ll be putting together some resources to help you communicate the new value propositions of sponsoring events. If you’re raising funds now, feel free to reach out to your Regional Manager for immediate support.
- As a for-profit, we’ll be able to invest in successful Startup Weekend teams via Techstars programming and reinvest that value back into the mission over the long-term.
- With that, that UP Global brand will be retired in favor of the Techstars umbrella. Program brands like Startup Weekend, Startup Digest, Startup Next, and Startup Week will NOT change. Our international offices will rebrand to be part of Techstars over time.
- The Startup America Partnership brand, which was combined with Startup Weekend to create UP Global in 2013, will be returned to the Case Foundation, who will explore opportunities for future programming under the Startup America name.
- Google for Entrepreneurs will continue to support Startup Weekend and Startup Next globally and our current global, program, and regional partners will all be coming with us as we continue operation under Techstars.
- Startup Next will now be free! The fees previously associated with acceptance will be eliminated – enabling more entrepreneurs to take advantage of this resource to help them scale.
- We will be implementing ways for Community Leaders to nominate teams that are a good fit for Techstars accelerator programs. This doesn’t guarantee acceptance, but we trust our leaders to help quality teams get exposure and new opportunities.
- As we’re able to, we’re excited to connect the two networks for mentor opportunities, open positions at Techstars and Startup Weekend companies, shared space for venues, and more. Have an idea or want to connect in a specific way? Let us know.
- CEO Marc Nager will become part of the executive team at Techstars serving as Chief Community Officer. The whole UP Global team will become Techstars employees serving in the same or very similar roles, and the current UP Global board will continue supporting our efforts in different ways as the formal board is dissolved.
We’re extremely excited to continue working on our mission alongside Techstars and to continue serving you and startup communities everywhere. We’re confident that what we can do together is going to very powerful and look forward to providing you better, more complete support.
As always, you can also reach out to your Regional Manager or get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.